Tares

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Tares

Post by Santiago »

Simple way to cook tares is do mix them with hemp, add to a flask and pour in boiling water. Seal and leave overnight. In the morning they'll be cooked perfectly. If you want, add the iron tablet and bicarb before you add the boiling water. Giving tares the smell of hemp greatly improves their performance as a bait! :dance2:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

A word of warning.
I put a cupful of tares into a flask, added an iron tablet and a teaspoon of bicarb, then poured on boiling water before stoppering the flask.
Five minutes later, I remembered that I normally add a couple of teaspoons of salt and sugar, so undid the stopper again.
Hot water spurted over my hands and arms. The gas generated by the bicarb had built up a tremendous pressure in the flask, which was stainless steel. I wonder whether a glass vacuum flask might have exploded?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You will not go far wrong doing as I do if you want black tares. Twenty minutes for the whole process and your done.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

A brilliant bait indeed :Thumb:

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

A chap I know used to get the odd Chub on Tares. Dace have a liking for them as well. I have going to give them ago again this summer on the Thames. Used to be a good Hemp and Tares water back in the 90s. Exeangler.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thames roach love tares, especially when fed with hemp. Absolutely no need to blacken them!

Hemingway

Mumf
Stickleback

Post by Mumf »

Great bait on the Soar backwaters.Roach mainly,and as mentioned,dace too. I have size 14 and 16 hooks with plastic tare -sized beads glued to the base of the shank. A little flash of tippex for good measure. Fed with hemp and a few tares in there,and you are good to go. Been doing that for ,well,40 years I guess; the original artificial bait.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Mumf wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 pm Great bait on the Soar backwaters.Roach mainly,and as mentioned,dace too. I have size 14 and 16 hooks with plastic tare -sized beads glued to the base of the shank. A little flash of tippex for good measure. Fed with hemp and a few tares in there,and you are good to go. Been doing that for ,well,40 years I guess; the original artificial bait.
I must try this idea.
My confidence is not high with this bait as I am always assuming it has come off.
Do you go for shiney beads or dull? I suspect the latter.
Must raid my nieces' play room when I visit next.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I use to use small black rubber beads with a smidge of tippex on and caught plenty of roach. Works a treat but you have to throw in the real stuff to get the roach going, and this can take up to twenty minutes or so. Simply throw in about a dozen seeds every trot, and use real hemp on the hook. Be patient, and once the roach start biting confidently switch over to the rubber bead. I've even caught them with a No. 1 shot right next to the hook when the mood has taken them.

Nowadays I prefer to use real hemp or tares on the hook as it's more of a challenge to hit the bites when trotting. Oddly, one can have better success at this by slightly delaying the strike, when striking quickly fails to work.

You also need to bulk the shot. About 18-24" from the hook works for me, with a no. 8 shot about 10" from the hook. Tares are quite heavy so if I've been trotting with maggots and switch to tares I pull the float down about 6" to stop the hook tripping the bottom too much. Hooked maggots waft in the current, whereas tares don't!

Hemingway

Mumf
Stickleback

Post by Mumf »

Santiago wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 pm I use to use small black rubber beads with a smidge of tippex on and caught plenty of roach. Works a treat but you have to throw in the real stuff to get the roach going, and this can take up to twenty minutes or so. Simply throw in about a dozen seeds every trot, and use real hemp on the hook. Be patient, and once the roach start biting confidently switch over to the rubber bead. I've even caught them with a No. 1 shot right next to the hook when the mood has taken them.

Nowadays I prefer to use real hemp or tares on the hook as it's more of a challenge to hit the bites when trotting. Oddly, one can have better success at this by slightly delaying the strike, when striking quickly fails to work.

You also need to bulk the shot. About 18-24" from the hook works for me, with a no. 8 shot about 10" from the hook. Tares are quite heavy so if I've been trotting with maggots and switch to tares I pull the float down about 6" to stop the hook tripping the bottom too much. Hooked maggots waft in the current, whereas tares don't!
Some sound advice there , thanks.

Homer Simpson.You were right; Dull beads.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”