Worms on barbless

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Worms on barbless

Post by Barbelseeker »

This method, for lobs, was taught to me, by Steve Calcott Snr, fishing tackle shop owner from Sheffield, when he used to go eel hunting in the beck, 1960's - That's another story.

Most bank side fishery have rushes growing at the side. You take one of those, snip off about 1" to leave a soft pithy middle. Place the hook point into this, Snip about 1" off your lob, and push the hook, into/down the worm as far as you want. You will be able to hold the hook, pull out the rush, and the hook point should penetrate through the side of the worm. Haven't fished worm for years, but it did work for me - or as suggested a piece of rubber - I'd just cut a small bait band into sections. Rough diagram follows:

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I always hook the worm on and then add an artificial rubber maggot. Works for me. They come in assorted colours and while prefer red, white or yellow can add just a bit of extra eye-catching temptation.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

NiceRoach wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:28 pm Hook in the normal way and tip with a maggot, that's what they told me to do. :tea:
'They'?? Who is they, would they be the voices....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Bit late on this but very simple method is to use eyed hook and thread the worm completely over the eye leaving hook dangling below,works best with 18's to 14's hook.
Cheers,
Ginge

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

AntiqueAngler wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 am Bit late on this but very simple method is to use eyed hook and thread the worm completely over the eye leaving hook dangling below,works best with 18's to 14's hook.
Cheers,
Ginge
I often leave a 1/2" tag of line at the knot on the hook, push the hook right through the worm and pull back so that the line tag holds against the worm, then nick the hook point back into the worm so that the point is exposed. It's a neat presentation and generally holds fast.

Adding maggots (which I also do), I have found that the worm's writhing can cause the maggot to obstruct the hook point. A piece of corn is useful as it gives a flash of colour to your bait but you will find that bream are magnetically drawn to this particular cocktail.

Today I are mostly using barbed hooks for worms.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Worm and corn, what are great cocktail for bream fishing in the autumn. Especially with those small red worms you get in compost heaps. I well remember catching lots of bream, about 50lb or so, in one evening on the Thames, with this combination. Neither corn or worm alone were any good, the bream wanted both together!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Santiago wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am Worm and corn, what are great cocktail for bream fishing in the autumn. Especially with those small red worms you get in compost heaps. I well remember catching lots of bream, about 50lb or so, in one evening on the Thames, with this combination. Neither corn or worm alone were any good, the bream wanted both together!
I used to fish a pool on a small river that produced countless chub on corn or worm but, a switch to the magic cocktail and it was bream almost every time. I remember being told decades ago that bream like a cocktail (and I've told a few in my time), and it's right but why? It's just one of those examples of fish behaviour that seem, to us humans, bizzare and illogical. :Confused:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 pm
Santiago wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am Worm and corn, what are great cocktail for bream fishing in the autumn. Especially with those small red worms you get in compost heaps. I well remember catching lots of bream, about 50lb or so, in one evening on the Thames, with this combination. Neither corn or worm alone were any good, the bream wanted both together!
I used to fish a pool on a small river that produced countless chub on corn or worm but, a switch to the magic cocktail and it was bream almost every time. I remember being told decades ago that bream like a cocktail (and I've told a few in my time), and it's right but why? It's just one of those examples of fish behaviour that seem, to us humans, bizzare and illogical. :Confused:
I don’t know the reason Dave but my experience tells me that both Bream (in my case up to 9lb) and smaller Tench (under 3lb) do seem to prefer a cocktail. For me, last week, it was worm and jelly pellet or worm and maggot.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Another vote for plastic/imitation caster or maggot....

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

NiceRoach wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:28 pm Hook in the normal way and tip with a maggot, that's what they told me to do. :tea:
Me too. Who is 'they'? See here:

:tumbleweed:
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”