Carp taking mixers in the cold

This forum is for discussing carp.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Carp taking mixers in the cold

Post by Coral Maestro »

The carp in my local lake were happily taking mixers off the surface this morning with half of the lake frozen over and an air temperature of 2 deg C.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Carp taking mixers in the cold

Post by Pallenpool »

Lovely stuff :Thumb: pictures like this should give each and everyone of us some hope of catching from lakes and pools in the depths of Winter.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

It was -4 deg C last night but the carp were still keen even though there was more ice:
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Never seen that before. Lovely atmosphere there!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Remarkable, French carp are renowned for their lack of surface feeding on numerous waters never mind in minus temperatures. I'd love a go at them :drool:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Great to see :Hat:

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It would be interesting to discover the water temperature where the fish were feeding compared to other areas of the lake. In some of the lakes and rivers where I fish there are springs that feed warmer water into small areas and that is where the fish (and cormorants) can be often found. I can only test the surface water temperature, but sometimes it is barely one degree C higher and that is enough to make a difference.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Amazing to see. I wonder what is makingthem do it?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:16 pm Amazing to see. I wonder what is makingthem do it?
The carp are fed every day through the year so they are used to finding food there. The lake has poor availability of natural food and the stock levels are quite high so they have to take what they can get. If the fish know that they can get food then it is worth their while staying active. If they couldn't get food then they would go into a state of torpor until food became available again.
I think that's why some lakes in the UK are good winter waters - anglers are introducing bait on a regular basis so the fish remain active.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”