The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

Post by Nobby »

I think another finished yesterday for even less....around £45 !

That sort of money for a hollow-built rod is amazing!

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Blimey you got me at it there, Nobby. That one that sold yesterday was one the glass hunters. The seeler has put up some info for the cane hunter lifted straight from the Chapman site. Hope the buyer is not under any illusions.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah...a Sealey 'glass rod described as 'bamboo' went for £40 yesterday too....I'm fed up messaging these sellers trying to help them...all you get is abuse.

It's their feedback I'm trying to help :(

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:I'm fed up messaging these sellers trying to help them(
Ditto, Nobby.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Anyone deceitful enough to knowingly list a glass rod as "cane" (and it does seem to happen with depressing regularity on eBay) is probably unlikely to respond positively to friendly help or advice.

I just hope that most of them fall into the "I know nuffink about fishing, I found this in a shed/attic/skip" camp, rather than actually being anglers themselves.

Or, if they are anglers, I just hope that most of them fall in. :cool:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

One of my Hexagraph blanks was advertised as a cane salmon worming rod by the wife of the seller and I emailed her to let her know what it really was. I got told her husband had it made and he built the rest and the price it was advertised was still what she wanted for it so that was what I paid. It made a splendid floodwater barbel rod but I had to let it go earlier this year under my 'not used for two years' rule. Went to a guy that regularly fishes the tidal Trent, perfect :thumb: he also had my B&W Hexagraph no.3 in the same deal

So many wrongly described items on eBay and when it's obviouse that it's a genuine mistake, due to the sellers lack of knowledge on the subject, I will send them a message letting them know what they have. Most are happy and post what I sent them, some ignore it, but I've never had anyone get annoyed about it, and with the exception of a couple of thing I have won on eBay that have not been what they were advertised as, possibly due to ignorance but more likely due to the seller being a rip off merchant, I've received nothing but what I expected. My hunter being one the seller must have known to be a piece of rubbish due to the bent ferrules and broken tip guide and missing large chunks of cork when it was described as 'ready to fish with' GRRRRRRR! at least the cane was good but I wrote the worst negative feedback I could think of due to the sellers attitude

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

In answer to the question posed by Haydn, I won that particular auction I don't know why or how. I contacted the seller early on and asked the usual questions and if he would be prepared tp pack it in a tube so I can arrange a courier. I took the view nothing ventured nothing gained.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi All,
I believe the SP designation on Chapman rods means "Standard Pattern"

Tom.

OllyKite
Stickleback

Post by OllyKite »

It means Special Pattern....differs from the standard in that the ALL cork handle without butt cap or button is lighter. i believe the black reel bands are peculiar to the 'S.P'
'look, Dad, its lying flat'!...'Yes,Peter,wait'....presently it moves across the water and slides under...'Now,Peter. STRIKE!'

Visit www.qualityvintagetackle.co.uk

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi,
I believe that SP stands for “standard pattern”.

Regards Tom.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”