What sort was it?

The Other Reels forum.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

What sort was it?

Post by Dave Burr »

I've a distant recollection as a child of borrowing a friends fly rod, fitted with a fixed spool reel and free lining maggots for dace. The abiding memory is of the reel which was white and had a support arm or shank which was 'C' shaped bending around to the rear of the body. Compared to my crappy little Intrepid 'Truespin' (little advertising regulation back then!) it was as smooooth as silk.

I was convinced that it was an ABU but the mists of time tend to lead one astray, I have seen pictures of similar reels but cannot remember their makes so, can anybody tell me what it was or were there several that were built that way? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Davyr

Re: What sort was it?

Post by Davyr »

Sounds like an Allcocks Delmatic - made for them by Youngs as a budget version of the Ambidex:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allcocks-Delm ... 500wt_1192

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Do you mean the Swan necked Ambidex by J.W Young - Mark 6 and 9 I think. And as davyr has just said there was also a Delmatic by the same company and Edgar Sealeys also did a version (made by JWY) call the Flocast.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Many thanks chaps :hat:

Return to “Other Reels”