What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Bobthefloat »

I've just started this and I'll admit I'm constantly referring to my dictionary and then re reading lines but that isn't taking away any of the enjoyment from it for me in fact the complete opposite as I'm also being educated along the way.
The style of which it is written has grabbed me completely. I saw a comment on here somewhere by Hermit saying it's like art with words and I couldn't agree more I cant wait to get back to it!!!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Bobthefloat wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 pm Image

I've just started this and I'll admit I'm constantly referring to my dictionary and then re reading lines but that isn't taking away any of the enjoyment from it for me in fact the complete opposite as I'm also being educated along the way.
The style of which it is written has grabbed me completely. I saw a comment on here somewhere by Hermit saying it's like art with words and I couldn't agree more I cant wait to get back to it!!!
Glad you’re enjoying it Terry, probably his finest work from so many gems written by the great man. Certainly my favourite angling book....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Bobthefloat wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 pm Image

Glad you’re enjoying it Terry, probably his finest work from so many gems written by the great man. Certainly my favourite angling book....
It was on your recommendation that I brought it mate thank you :Thumb: :Hat:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Bobthefloat wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 pm
I cant wait to get back to it!!!
One of the best books ever on the subject - I have lost count how many times I have read it - and then just thought of a specific thing and dipped into it, then of course there are the wonderful illustrations. I have left that small line from your post, because that is exactly how I felt all those years ago.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Martin James wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:48 am Defeat into Victory Field Marshal Viscount Slim 588 pages published by Published by the Folia Society Ltd
I'm fascinated by the 2nd World War. I have a copy of this book along with some other biographies and autobiographies of WWII generals. The ones I would recommend are "A Full Life" - General Sir Brian Horrocks, "The Forgotten Victor" - about General Sir Richard O'Connor. Also If you've not read it "The struggle for Europe" by Chester Wilmot, I would thoroughly recommend you do.

Best regards,

Phil

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Phil I have a large collection of World War books also military autobiography’s, a book you will enjoy is one by the late Tag Barnes Commando Diary including his very vivid account of Hill 170 at Kankaw in the Arakan which hastened the end of the war in Burma by several weeks. He was also a great ornithologist and angler, every year during his holiday he would go off looking for corncrakes, I certainly enjoyed my time with him.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Phil my daughter has now ordered the book The struggle for Europe" by Chester Wilmot, thank you

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Thanks Martin, I will certainly look out for the Tag Barnes Barne's book. He fished all around my area, the East Riding of Yorkshire and I once just missed meeting him as a young man in my favourite Hull tackle shop "Duncan's". I certainly know of one spot where we have both caught pike shown below. It's also quite possible that some of the older ornithologists I knew in my area would have known Tag.

I regard myself as very lucky to have been mentored, worked alongside and even fished with men like Tag of my father's generation who had served during the war.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Phil like you all my teachers were all ex-military and certainly roll models for most of us, Mr Jefferies Royal Airforce who lost a leg during the war was one of the heroes of the Wooden Horse film in black & white and when it appeared at the cinema in I think 1950, appeared on stage in his uniform. We all stood up and applauded him. In the cadets, at college, when angling in the 40’s and 50’s I was surrounded by ex-military personal who taught me so much, even today I have many friends in the military who even today are role models.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I am also reading ‘The Gentle Art of Angling’ by Mr Venables today. So many fabulous books - we are all very lucky to have these resources.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”