A Really New Rod

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
DWW
Grayling

A Really New Rod

Post by DWW »

I needed a rod that would measure no longer than 1m for both transportation by bike and for storage in a camper van on trips away . The rod also had to be a bit of an all rounder in the way that it would handle ( hopefully !) fish up to double figure carp sizes.
So not having such a thing I asked Andrew Davis to work his magic !
Anyway to cut a long story short the rod is underway and I will update you on progress and the results !
We have christened it the " Bike Rod " and at 10ft , three pieces and a handle I am really looking forward to seeing it and more importantly catching some fish with it !
DWW

Barbulus
Tench

Re: A Really New Rod

Post by Barbulus »

I like the sound of this and look forward to seeing the finished rod. I had a particularly delightful two piece landing net custom made for me by Northern Nomad so that it fitted into a small car I had for my fishing ............ something rather nice about having custom gear made for you. How long from design to build ?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I rode a bike the other day for the first time since 1994(taking our foxhounds out for exercise) and will not be doing so again! The brakes did not work and going uphill the gear adjustment came off in my hand!I was half a mile behind the Hounds so I threw the bike in a ditch walked back to the Kennels and drove back to pick up the bike.The next day I could hardly walk! This marked the end of My bycyling career. However if I was up to it going fishing on a bike with the rod strapped on the crossbar would be very appealing.Its a great idea to have a rod made for this specific purpose and I look forward to seeing the end result of the commission.
Mark Davies

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Penninelad wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm I rode a bike the other day for the first time since 1994(taking our foxhounds out for exercise) and will not be doing so again! The brakes did not work and going uphill the gear adjustment came off in my hand!I was half a mile behind the Hounds so I threw the bike in a ditch walked back to the Kennels and drove back to pick up the bike.The next day I could hardly walk! This marked the end of My bycyling career. However if I was up to it going fishing on a bike with the rod strapped on the crossbar would be very appealing.Its a great idea to have a rod made for this specific purpose and I look forward to seeing the end result of the commission.
You should follow the hounds on your horse Mark, no brakes or gears to worry about and a better seat!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

James
Rudd

Post by James »

I know Dave has been quiet a busy chap and has only been out a couple of times with his new Bike rod.
I thought i would hijack the thread and put some images of his new bike rod .ImageImageImageImageImage Its on my catalogue as The "Crossbar".Its 10ft 6in and when broken down is 34 inches long.

A J Davis [james]

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Fantastic idea, and the rod looks just as good. I look forwards to seeing the fish landed by it.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I wondered what had happened since the original design and post. What a superb looking rod; a credit to Andrew Davis I think. Stunning.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Genius! As ever...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I'm not going to show you my 'bike rod' now! I'm embarrassed after seeing that beauty :Cry:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That is just exquisite! Lovely coloured cane, a simple and elegant whipping style and a finish as close to perfection as it ever could be.
Fabulous workmanship Andrew and congratulations Dave on the acquisition of such a special fishing rod. :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”