J S Sharpe Avon.

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: J S Sharpe Avon.

Post by Beresford »

Not sure if I'd go as far as to say 'rare' but certainly not a rod that you see for sale that often. Over the years I've seen more "Carps" for sale than "Avons". Owners who I've spoken to tend to want to hang onto them both.

I had my Carp restored last year because the intermediate rings caused a broken line twice. The original Sharpes pattern rings are nigh on impossible to find, or they were for me. I tried to polish those I had to remove any scoring. I then had them re-chromed but I still wasn't happy so I had them replaced. A new male ferrule was made. Tip and butt rings were pretty much like new.

I think 6lb line would be sensible for the Avon.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks Beresford,
Right, that's it then, a re-whip!
Regards Cat

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have one and often use when live baiting for perch. Although I prefer a longer rod, but the impregnated cane used by Sharpe's is very durable and the action of this rod is very forgiving. I have seen very few of these rods for sale over the years.
Mark Davies

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Very often the Sharpes impregnated rods are still in excellent shape. The resin has certainly ensured their longevity. In the blue Barder catalogue he writes that he tried the process but felt that a varnished cane rod was superior in action. That may be true but I still very much like my Sharpes rods and think they perform very well.

My "Carp" is my early season rod or for snag free water. It's a tad lighter than a MkIV and not as good at casting light baits but it feels marginally better balanced to hold.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both,
So Beresford, what's your mid season rod(s) of choice for carp?
Regards Cat

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Tony Croft MkIV Carp.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Lovely!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've owned both rods for over 20 years. Both are much loved and will always remain with me. One day I shall have to have the Croft refreshed or I shall just retire it. It's a tricky decision. It does kind of need work doing to it but the intermediate whippings are perfect and I'm unsure if it would ever be possible to match the silk as exactly as I'd wish. One way around this might be to just have the intermediate rings and male ferrule replaced and whipped in a close colour but I'm not sure if it's possible to leave the intermediates untouched and hope that the varnish would 'blend in'. Each year I think I must get this done but then I use the rod and over the last few seasons it's not got any worse. Most of the wear seemed to happen in the first couple of years that I had it.

An alternative would be to just use it a couple of times a year to prolong it's useful lifespan and acquire another MkIV to use more frequently!

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”