Milwards Matchcraft?

The Milwards Rods forum.
Eddy Pools
Rudd

Milwards Matchcraft?

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello,
I'm wondering if someone here can help me please by confirming whether the rod described below is actually what it says it is - namely a Milwards Matchcraft.

I recently purchased it for a few pounds out of curiosity as with my limited experience I'd not seen a Milwards rod like it.

It is a 3 piece rod with butt and middle sections made of some very light metal tubing with a split cane top. Each section is approximately 43" long, the cork handle is approx. 17.25" long. The rod weighs 10 oz. The reel fittings are identical to those on a Floatcraft rod I have. It has a faded green bag.

The Butt cap has Milwards, Made In England, engraved on it and the butt section has the Milwards and Matchcraft logos and the number 152(?)15 on the opposite side.

The butt and tip rings are lined, the butt ring has been rewhipped at some time in the past. The rest of the guides are high bells (which I'm replacing). Virtually all of the whippings use (probably) white and black jasper which is the same as on other Milwards rods I have.

Each of the tubular sections are comprised of two pieces of tube, one set inside of the other with binding over the step down in diameter. Both tubular sections do flex.

The cane top section is straight and has no delamination - it is a similar colour and quality to that on other Milwards rods I have - slightly finer than on my Floatcraft.

The ferrules are in good order and the three sections now fit together well and I think it will make a usable rod for the smaller species - one of my grandsons has already claimed it for himself.

I am just starting to refurbish it which should be a very simple rewhip and new guides. I will probably just wire wool the cane section and re-varnish rather than strip it completely and also put a couple of coats of varnish over the logos and number.

I would be most grateful if someone could please confirm if this rod is a Milwards Matchcraft and, if so, provide me with a bit more information as to when it was made, what it is made out of etc

Many thanks,
Geoff

Lovatt
Perch

Re: Milwards Matchcraft?

Post by Lovatt »

Hi Geoff, I have limited experience with Milwards as I only own a few of them if you look for Nobby or Ashby cut they may be able to help you with it more than I can. I would say it is one of the modern rods that would of been made by Milwards, as the earlier Matchcraft rods were made with a Whole cane Butt, whole cane middle and a split cane tip configuration. You have a nice looking rod, I suppose similar to a tubular steel Apollo taper flash.

Regards lovat

Mick G
Minnow

Post by Mick G »

Hi There,
I have one of these rods in my collection, and once or twice a year I get it out and enjoy myself.

In over 20 years, this is only the third of these rods I've come across Apart from their rarity, these rods are very special, as they are not constructed with step tapered drawn aluminium tubing as Taperflash, Aspindale Croftdale and others, but with parallel drawn tubing tapered by splicing different diameters together, just like we still do with whole cane ,or, if we can still obtain it, Spanish reed. My only problem is when I got the rod there were no transfers, and it didn't have a bag.

Want to talk? I'm a slow typist, but my phone number is at your disposal, just send a PM.

Regards,

Mick G

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think there ought to be a whole thread about aluminum rods and their makers after seeing this one!

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Mick G wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 pm Hi There,
I have one of these rods in my collection, and once or twice a year I get it out and enjoy myself.

In over 20 years, this is only the third of these rods I've come across Apart from their rarity, these rods are very special, as they are not constructed with step tapered drawn aluminium tubing as Taperflash, Aspindale Croftdale and others, but with parallel drawn tubing tapered by splicing different diameters together, just like we still do with whole cane ,or, if we can still obtain it, Spanish reed. My only problem is when I got the rod there were no transfers, and it didn't have a bag.

Want to talk? I'm a slow typist, but my phone number is at your disposal, just send a PM.

Regards,

Mick G
Hello Mick,
I'm really pleased to hear from you.

I did refurbish the rod and have used it quite a few times - it is very light and comfortable to use for long periods.

This is a stripped section where the diameter steps down

Here are a couple of pictures of the refurbished rod

I've mostly caught roach, bream, perch, and dace with it. However, one day I went to a new water and was steadily catching roach using two red maggots on a size 18 hook when suddenly a 10lb common put this (alarming) bend in the mid and top sections of it. Obviously not what the rod was designed for although I have to say that by keeping the rod tip low the rod absorbed the lunges of the fish pretty well. After about 10 minutes the fish was in the net.

The rod was not affected by the experience but it is not one I would want to repeat with it.

More recently I've got another of these rods but the latest one is a 12' version and is my next rod to refurbish.

I'd be very interested to know when these were made - their serial numbers are quite different.

I'll send you a PM and look forward to discussing further with you.

Geoff

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”