Gentleman's Relish & Anchovy Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Duckett
Tench

Gentleman's Relish & Anchovy Paste

Post by Duckett »

OK, two very traditional items here! I was posting a comment in the thread below about Warburtons Toasties when it popped into my head that I had never put either of these things in paste mix and had never read of anyone doing so.

So, ignoring for the moment the fact that a gentleman would require his Gentleman's Gentleman at the bank to apply his Gentleman's Relish to his bread, has anyone ever tried this?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Re: Gentleman's Relish & Anchovy Paste

Post by Aitch »

I'd be wary of using the term "Gentleman's Relish" as it is a popular euphemism.... :Wink:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Harry wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm I'd be wary of using the term "Gentleman's Relish" as it is a popular euphemism.... :Wink:
I'll be keeping an eye on you if we meet on an ODAS water Harry! :Hahaha:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Well lets put it this way... I'd not let my Manservant put his Relish on my sandwiches.... :shocked:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Funny how something can have two meanings, my wife's mum keeps telling us she loves her morning glory in the garden. :whistle:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Reedling wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm Funny how something can have two meanings, my wife's mum keeps telling us she loves her morning glory in the garden. :whistle:
I have a Czech friend who teaches, amongst other languages, English to Czech children. She always says that this sort of thing is one of the delights of English, as spoken in the U.K. She always tells her students that English is one of the easiest of languages to learn but can take a lifetime to understand.

At a beer festival many years ago, I tried to explain to her the multiple levels of meaning in a brew from the seaside called Willy’s Old Groyne!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Duckett wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 pm OK, two very traditional items here! I was posting a comment in the thread below about Warburtons Toasties when it popped into my head that I had never put either of these things in paste mix and had never read of anyone doing so.

So, ignoring for the moment the fact that a gentleman would require his Gentleman's Gentleman at the bank to apply his Gentleman's Relish to his bread, has anyone ever tried this?
I have used Gentlemen’s relish as a component in a paste bait I trialled way back in the 80’s. I had varying amounts of success to out and out blanks. The trouble with working with strong smelling food stuffs is just that - if a complex bait is being developed using one be prepared for a lot of trial, error and more error. I did before starting use the relish in a bread, tapioca flour and egg mix, which I made into a paste and immersed in boiling water for around 30 seconds allowing the paste to be a tad more robust than not doing so. This basic mix I dismissed eventually as a loss leader with catch rates erratic to say the least.
If you decide to give it a try it would be interesting to read about your results. It would be definitely worth a try.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:05 pm
Duckett wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 pm OK, two very traditional items here! I was posting a comment in the thread below about Warburtons Toasties when it popped into my head that I had never put either of these things in paste mix and had never read of anyone doing so.

I have used Gentlemen’s relish as a component in a paste bait I trialled way back in the 80’s. I had varying amounts of success to out and out blanks. The trouble with working with strong smelling food stuffs is just that - if a complex bait is being developed using one be prepared for a lot of trial, error and more error. I did before starting use the relish in a bread, tapioca flour and egg mix, which I made into a paste and immersed in boiling water for around 30 seconds allowing the paste to be a tad more robust than not doing so. This basic mix I dismissed eventually as a loss leader with catch rates erratic to say the least.
If you decide to give it a try it would be interesting to read about your results. It would be definitely worth a try.
Thanks for this Pallenpool, it’s a great help. Since posting this I’ve had one go at integrating both Gentlemen’s Relish and anchovy essence into a paste. I honestly don’t think the GR worked and have ditched the idea. AE blended in nicely but didn’t catch anything. I’m going to try AE in paste again. However, I started thinking about this in the context of spreading things inside the various Warburtons pocket breads mentioned in an earlier post. I’m going to give this a go with GR once the river season is underway. I’ll post the results.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Duckett wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Thanks for this Pallenpool, it’s a great help. Since posting this I’ve had one go at integrating both Gentlemen’s Relish and anchovy essence into a paste. I honestly don’t think the GR worked and have ditched the idea. AE blended in nicely but didn’t catch anything. I’m going to try AE in paste again. However, I started thinking about this in the context of spreading things inside the various Warburtons pocket breads mentioned in an earlier post. I’m going to give this a go with GR once the river season is underway. I’ll post the results.
These ‘Bread Pockets’ sound rather interesting I will have a look at them when I am next in the not so supermarket.
If you let me know the AE you are using I will trial it as well - 2 to the cause will help if only to realise that the wrong tree is being barked up at. This being said additions to the mix and the strength of the main ingredient all bear witness to a failed or successful bait.
I am rather looking forward to giving this some legs.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Pallenpool wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 pm

These ‘Bread Pockets’ sound rather interesting I will have a look at them when I am next in the not so supermarket.
If you let me know the AE you are using I will trial it as well - 2 to the cause will help if only to realise that the wrong tree is being barked up at. This being said additions to the mix and the strength of the main ingredient all bear witness to a failed or successful bait.
I am rather looking forward to giving this some legs.
:Hat:
The one I had in my cupboard was Geo Watkins Anchovy Sauce, so I used that. I’ve almost run out and, looking around, there don’t seem to be as many options as I recall there being last time I bought a bottle ...... it lasts me ages! I suppose one alternative would be one of the many fish sauces from the Far East as they are all made the same way!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”