Hardy "The Match Roach"

The Hardy Rods forum.
Crucian
Eel

Re: Hardy "The Match Roach"

Post by Crucian »

Nice rod Mal, it looks very much like spanish reed in the photo's, particularly the middle joint, with it's closely spaced nodes.
If you look at the nodes on the butt joint, they look 'squashed in' and smaller in diameter than the reed between the nodes, another characteristic of reed.
I could be wrong of course, and usually am...

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Very nice Hardy rod Mal, I am a very big fan of the Pre WWII Hardy rods, it is very light too at just over 10oz :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Did Hardy ever use Spanish reed instead of bamboo in their rods? I cannot seem to find any mention of it. Bamboo; greenheart; hickory; split bamboo; lancewood are mentioned. Hickory for sea rods and the odd fly rod(??).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Crucian wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pmNice rod Mal, it looks very much like spanish reed in the photo's, particularly the middle joint, with it's closely spaced nodes. If you look at the nodes on the butt joint, they look 'squashed in' and smaller in diameter than the reed between the nodes, another characteristic of reed. I could be wrong of course, and usually am...
I'm happy to believe the catalogue as far as composition goes ... "The butt, middle, and lower portion of the top are made from tough light-weight bamboo." :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

AC - here's an idea - why not take this rod to Stockton for some Crucian fishing - lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place so I am lead to believe. :Scared:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 pm AC - here's an idea - why not take this rod to Stockton for some Crucian fishing - lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place so I am lead to believe. :Scared:
Knowing my luck I'd connect with his bigger brother !!!!! :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Olly wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:09 pm Did Hardy ever use Spanish reed instead of bamboo in their rods? I cannot seem to find any mention of it. Bamboo; greenheart; hickory; split bamboo; lancewood are mentioned. Hickory for sea rods and the odd fly rod(??).
The Outfit rod only made in 1939 was catalogued to have bamboo butt, Spanish reed middle and Spanish Reed/split bamboo tip
Maybe Hardy experimented with Spanish reed before 1939, but did not catalogue it, or just named it lightweight bamboo?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

AshbyCut wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 pm
PershoreHarrier wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 pm AC - here's an idea - why not take this rod to Stockton for some Crucian fishing - lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place so I am lead to believe. :Scared:
Knowing my luck I'd connect with his bigger brother !!!!! :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
That would be Whalus Maximus AC and we would need a bigger net - not quite Jaws where a bigger boat was needed!! :Hahaha:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Ah! In Turners Guide The Outfit has 5 sections - bamboo/split bamboo with a length of 11 ft or 13ft 6in. So the moral is don't always believe what is written! I think that could be said of many manufacturers with their "one-offs".

The Guide also excludes the 3 piece models of "Match Roach" showing only the 2 section models! :Hat:

AC - I do hope you hook the Whalus Max - love to see the pictures and video!

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

AshbyCut wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:05 pm
Crucian wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pmNice rod Mal, it looks very much like spanish reed in the photo's, particularly the middle joint, with it's closely spaced nodes. If you look at the nodes on the butt joint, they look 'squashed in' and smaller in diameter than the reed between the nodes, another characteristic of reed. I could be wrong of course, and usually am...
I'm happy to believe the catalogue as far as composition goes ... "The butt, middle, and lower portion of the top are made from tough light-weight bamboo." :Hat:
I am sure your'e right Mal, whatever it's made from, it's a lovely rod. The pre war rods from Hardy are superb.

Having looked closely at the description of the rod in the 1932/33 bottom fishers catalogue, it's interesting that Hardy describe this rod as being made from 'a tough light-weight bamboo', but other rods are described as being made from 'whole bamboo' or 'selected whole bamboo'...

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”