waterlog magazine the first 50

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mario
Eel

waterlog magazine the first 50

Post by Mario »

ive been looking through my copies tonight i bought the first 50 then they changed the format what a shame the first 50 were briliant ive read and re read many times mine are still in really good condition i wouldnt never part with them i think there a modern classic and i think they will be quite collectable in the future does any of you agree with me

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: waterlog magazine the first 50

Post by Mark »

I subscribed to the first 50 issues Mazza then stopped. I still like to read an issue now and again, they are still quite refreshing to read.

I will never part with them but you can still purchase back issue's from medlar so I think it may be a while before they are worth anything.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I went to about issue 60. A great shame Yates moved on and the magazine that we could buy in Smiths morphed into a book. One of the reasons why I think it's a shame is that they were giving previously unpublished writers the chance to see their work in print and I think I formed the view that current format is largely based around the work of established names.

Mine will never be for sale and are all in near mint condition.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Recently ended my sub to WL for a variety of reasons (mainly because I found I wasn't reading it cover to cover any more) - but boy are they persistent at Medlar. I think I've received no less than 3 "are you sure" letters!

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Yes, I kept going to around issue 60 but the last ten or so copies seemed more like fillers than a labour of love.
Waterlog at the start was superb, and is the reason why I changed my approach to angling...keep it simple, enjoy, and if you tried something unusual, ignore what other anglers thought.

Oh, I'm a silver bream now!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I started with issue 58 and stopped after issue 77 - not enough of the magazine was of interest to me.
Reason being I wasn't fishing at all from 1992 to 2002 and didn't even know it existed until 2007.
However I now have new copies of issues 1 to 13 which I am currently reading through - and am finding them superb, and will get more of the old ones but issues 14 to 16 are currently sold out.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

I subscribed from the start, but gave up after the crossword disappeared! Well, that wasn't the only reason, once Mr Yates left it just wasn't the same. When he told me that Vernon the Roach was being 'retired' I almost wept. But I really did enjoy the crossword, definitely a challenge (in more ways than one) and I think I managed to complete every one, at least up to edition 50. I'm at work now so can't check.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Hmm, as someone who has written for Waterlog fairly recently (two articles published, a few more held..), I can't help but feel a little protective of the magazine/book - especially because I've never seen an early copy, ie up to issue 50.
I like the book format - I think it makes Waterlog different, and the quality of writing and imagery is generally good.
The Yates era might have been its golden age, but it's still a fine publication, in my opinion, and worthy of some attention. Yes, I'm bound to be a little biased, but coming to Waterlog fresh, in the past two years or so, and comparing it with the weekly angling "comics" and "how to catch" manuals, I have to ask, "What's there not to like?"

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”