B James MKIV handle shape.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Champ
Chub

B James MKIV handle shape.

Post by Champ »

As i understand it B James MKIV s had three main shapes at the top of the cork butt.And may help indicate if the rod was early or later versions.

Early - Trumpet shaped.

Mid period - Onion shaped.

Later - Dough nut shaped.

This is probably an over simplification.Can anyone add more information please?.

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Re: B James MKIV handle shape.

Post by DontKnowMuch »

The information given in Kevin Clifford's A History .... should be a reliable guide.

As follows:

First version- October 1952: Trumpet handle, hook-keeper, shoulder collar, dark built cane. Concentric red, green or black whippings, clear or brown butt and tip rings. Transfer -- 'B.James & Son, Ealing, London'.

Second version- 1955: Onion handle , hook-keeper, no shoulder collar, dark built cane. Concentric red or green whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, Ealing, London'.

Third version- 1956/1957: Onion handle, hook-keeper, small shoulder collar, medium brown coloured cane, concentric red or green whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, London, England'.

Fourth version- 1958: Bulbous handle, no shoulder collar or hook keeper, lighter coloured cane, increased test curve, red whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, England'.

Taking the above into account I think this should only be used as a guide as not all rods out there conform to these descriptions and there are some characteristics which overlapped the different versions. One of my MKIVs for example has all the details mentioned in the third version but has the bulbous (doughnut) handle. I'm figuring its either a late 1957 or an early 1958
Last edited by DontKnowMuch on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Looks like mine are the fourth version.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It seems I have a 3rd and a 4th.
Thanks for that. :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Broadly speaking the Clifford guide is about right, but I've seen numerous slight variations over the years. Handle shape can be altered too; a friend bought a trumpet-top Avon which seemed otherwise to conform to the third era and ought to have had an onion top. Close examination revealed it had been sanded to a different shape. Better I think to rely on transfer details than cork shape.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily matter what date the rod is except to a collector. Personal preference shouldn't be disregarded in a rod intended for personal use; I hate the onion shape with a visceral passion and much prefer the later doughnut shape.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:Of course, it doesn't necessarily matter what date the rod is except to a collector. Personal preference shouldn't be disregarded in a rod intended for personal use; I hate the onion shape with a visceral passion and much prefer the later doughnut shape.
I agree with you on this GOS.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Mine has an onion shape.I much prefer this to the doughnut shaped handle which i dont like at all!.My favourite handle finish is the trumpet shape on a cane rod.I wish that i had the B James version but unfortunately they are rather pricey IF you can find one.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Onions over doughnuts every time!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

For those of us not up on the handle shapes or how to tell which is which (I apologise for my ignorance in advance), could we maybe have some picture examples? :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thanks for that post, Im was kind of lost here but, as you say, some pictures would be cool......

Although, would I be right in saying that the Barder rods have the onion??
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”