River Soar, Leicestershire

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: River Soar, Leicestershire

Post by Mark »

Looks like to register you have to purchase something from their site or make a donation to charity.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:Looks like to register you have to purchase something from their site or make a donation to charity.
I seem to recall that when I registered they took a minimal amount from a credit/debit card to confirm ID then reimbursed it.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Hi,

I heard that the fast section at Osier beds near barrow upon soar is barbel and big chub territory. Its a day ticket water too, tickets available at Bennet's in Mountsorrel. I'm tempted at some point to head up and do a bit of trotting for the chub. Another section which fishes well is just by Bennets in Mountsorrel - big perch, chub, pike etc.

John

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

johnclyde wrote:Hi,

I heard that the fast section at Osier beds near barrow upon soar is barbel and big chub territory. Its a day ticket water too, tickets available at Bennet's in Mountsorrel. I'm tempted at some point to head up and do a bit of trotting for the chub. Another section which fishes well is just by Bennets in Mountsorrel - big perch, chub, pike etc.

John
Sounds good John, I might give that a try, I have not been in Bennets for years.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Did you try the Soar Mark? The missus use to live in Loughborough and I always liked the look of the river when driving the A6. Never knew where to stop or where to park car if fishing and last question is who has the rights or can anyone just pitch up?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Not fished it for years Loop, I still need to find a nice day ticket stretch. I have heard that there are some nice barbel in some parts, but it's finding them.
Mark (Administrator)

LadaMark

Post by LadaMark »

Managed a few hours on the Soar Navigation this afternoon. Nothing much to report in the way of catches; had a few Perch (mainly very small), a few small Roach and a couple of small Bream. All could be classed as tiddlers. What I did find interesting (but not necessarily welcome) was a report of Zander being caught near Loughborough Lock. I met a few fellows that work at Morris's recycling yard at the side of the canal near Empress Road. One of them was telling me that he had taken a Zander on worm near the Lock. I now these predators are fairly wide spread now but had no idea they were in the Soar river system. I first hear of these fish back in the late 70's but they seemed confined to the Fenland drains. I recall a period where the record was being broken almost weekly. I have no idea on the population volumes within the Soar system but where there is one, I would have to assume there are more. I was also told that there are eels in the Soar Navigation which is also something that I didn't know having never made contact with one. I wonder what the chances are of some Barbel having strayed this far? I know it isn't really running water like the river but......

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Walked from Sileby upstream to Cossington Meadows this morning the river looked lovely but not a sign of anything rising etc, the Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust which owns/manages the Meadows have with help/advice from other partners have constructed a 'fish refuge' which is a new pool connected to the main river by a channel. The display board explains that the Soar does not meet the water directives regarding fish stocks and that the 'refuge' will help, it goes on to mention Herons and Mink as predator's of fish but no mention of Cormarants & Otters !

As far as I know the trust does not allow fishing but the far bank which I presume is owned by various land owners looks extremely fishy with lots of tree's / vegetation, not sure if any club/association has the fishing rights ?

Tight lines
Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Another walk along the Soar on a lovely spring morning, at Sileby Mill you cross what I presume to be the old mill stream before you reach the main river/canal, looking over the bridge there were several Chub around 2 lb + cruising around as well as plenty of small fish, if I had 'dapped' a fly or a bit of crust I reckon I would have been in. Then walked upstream through the nature reserve, what took a little of the shine off was a Cormarant sitting in a willow tree looking down intently into the river.

Tight lines
Dave

Return to “Other Rivers”