The Itchen Navigation at Shawford - private fishing?

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: The Itchen Navigation at Shawford - private fishing?

Post by Chevin »

Ive fished the Navigation at Shawford a few times now, be rude not too really as im local and it holds some great grayling.

Ive also looked at the stretches within Winchester whenever there but have always been unsure as to the fishing rights. What parts are actually free.... pm if preferred. :Hat:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

The free stretch of the Itchen in town is between the weir at Durngate Place down to Wharf Mill - just off Wharf Hill. There are grayling right through but the better fish are nearer the top end. A lot of fish are taken so those that remain tend to be quite wily.

The free stretch of the navigation is from Blackbridge - just off Domum Road - down to St Catherine's Lock - left bank only. There are fewer grayling in here but those that are tend to come from the top end where there is a decent flow. Again, the stocks of fish do get 'thinned' but there are a variety of species. I've even caught skimmers here and a big chub was found with it's gills chomped by an otter.
The water is pretty barren from the bridge at Garnier Road down to the Lock, save the hordes of micro-pike. The deep water at the very bottom end looks interesting though - and I did watch a carp of about 8 pounds poking one afternoon.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

I've fished the Shawford navi a few times, the last time being with Chevin and Keston just after Christmas and I must say I have always found the locals exceedingly friendly and have never been challenged about fishing there, I did manage to drop my JW Youngs Trudex into the weirpool (a baptism in holy water) luckily Jim Hudson ties a good knot when he loads line.
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I've fished it loads of times. No issues with the locals. Most pass a civil word and often stop to ask what has been caught. I've even met a couple of EA inspectors checking rod licenses. No issues there. The last one even took a picture of me, because I was dressed in tweed and wielding some cane.
I think as long as you respect the environment and are polite, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

it used to be on the site below (hope the link worked) but appears to have been removed

http://www.dofreefishing.com/southernhampshire.html
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Anyone interested in a TFF fishing trip on the Winchester free bits after Romsey tackle show?

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

It may be worth giving the navigation a miss. I was there with my dad today. There were 5 other anglers present. Not one grayling caught between us. A few trout of varying sizes. The river looked good. Carrying a tinge of colour and a decent flow. However, despite many different baits the ladies were not playing. Very strange. I wonder is they are spawning.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Thanks MG, I need to catch a fish not a cold!
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Floppy Hat

Post by Floppy Hat »

I would suggest a polite e mail to the local parish council. If it a local trying to claim it then the parish would like to know. We had similar problems on Dedham mill pool on the Suffolk Stour (rhymes with lure). It was owned by the parish council, as was the fishing below the bridge. BUT. One of the residents who lived in the flats in the old Clover's mill that overlooked the pool took it upon himself to tell people it was all private (only the walled part with the weir and lock gates was private). I fished there close to the mill as i could get but I was never bothered. but i know of people who were.

Return to “Other Rivers”