Bristol Avon Christian Malford and Sutton Benger

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
ExeAngler
Chub

Bristol Avon Christian Malford and Sutton Benger

Post by ExeAngler »

For the last few years I have been fishing the Bristol Avon at Christian Malford. To be honest my results have not been too good, so I am thinking of joining ISIS angling club, to fish their stretch at Sutton Benger. Anyone know what this stretch is like? Christian Malford seems to have been hit hard by Otters.

I did have my best BA chub late October last year,but have really struggled most of the time this season.

Barbulus
Tench

Re: Bristol Avon Christian Malford and Sutton Benger

Post by Barbulus »

There are otters throughout the river system all around there - in part allegedly thru the deliberate release some years ago of a female otter as part of a breeding pair at Lacock - hence why the previously private syndicate there is now open to all - although still good fish to be caught and a delightful stretch of water from the wier pool at CM all the way down - even Reybridge. Try Calne AA who have superb fishing on the Avon tributary and Marden. Speak with the chap who owns Premier Angling in Chippenham - can't think of his name - he knows all those waters very well. I find now that at CM and also Kellaways and Maud's Heath Causeway a roving approach works best for the type of fishing I wish - a chub here - a chub there and the occasional barbel. Avon Tributaries ? AA has great fishing - coarse and game - all around. A little expensive though. Scenery superb.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

ExeAngler wrote:....... so I am thinking of joining ISIS ............

You do realise a big red light has started flashing at GCHQ :Chuckle:

The Bristol Avon has suffered with lower flow rates and predation over the last decade or two but it is still a lovely river that holds some specimen fish for the hard working angler.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I did think that after I wrote it.. better watch what I say on the phone!!! Reference the Avon, I think I will try a roving approach with big baits next season. May also look at Calne or Wroughton AC. Thanks to all.

Return to “Other Rivers”