A tale of 2 'Severndales.'

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

A tale of 2 'Severndales.'

Post by AshbyCut »

Some of you will recall that a while ago I acquired a 12ft. Aspindale's "The Severndale," described by the inscription on the rod as a ' hollow-built cane match rod.' Sadly, the centre section was 2 inches short, and there was delamination on that section too. I stripped the rod, glued the delaminations, and rebuilt it as it stood.

A couple of weeks ago, a TFF member put up for sale another 'Severndale,' this time with good butt and centre sections, and a correct length tip section which had been repaired.

I decided to combine them ... which is part of what has been occupying me over the past week or so. I was utterly delighted to discover that the ferrules of the two sections to be swapped are exactly the same ... and fit into their mates perfectly ... so there was no need to swap ferrules. I also found that I had some virtually identical green silk in my 'building bits box' to that which was on the latest rod to arrive ... so it was simply a matter of carefully removing the whippings on the guides and ferrules of the two centre sections, and re-whipping, varnishing, and varnishing them.

I now have a complete rod with all correct sections, whipped in the original black/silver twist (which i shall keep) ... and another rod, whipped in green (for which I have plans which will be revealed in another thread later today).

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: A tale of 2 'Severndales.'

Post by Nobby »

So you've got a sort of 11 foot version too, then?

That just might be a nice rod if it'll balance OK. I had a short tipped Suredale and it was a belting rod for hard fighting trout and tench, I'd imagine it would have handled carp up to * or ( pounds well enough too.

Since the whole cane butt of the Suredale isn't too dissimilar to the hollow-built one on the Severndale it might just work.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: A tale of 2 'Severndales.'

Post by AshbyCut »

Actually Nobby, Sir ... it's 11ft 10 1/4 inches long ... so hardy different from the original ... and the balance is almost identical ... though there is a reminder of just how hand built these rods were as there is something of a difference in the taper. The tip on the 'short' rod is a bit 'lighter' than that on the one I'm keeping.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”