The River Windrush, Burford

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Old Man Oakley
Roach

The River Windrush, Burford

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Dear All

To "celebrate" my 40th, I have invited a couple of friends along to fish the Windrush, this coming Saturday. Rather charmingly I have to buy the tickets from the Embroidery Shop on the High Street.
I have also lined up a hearty breakfast to start at the Angel.

Any recommendations or advice on the fishing, as this will be my first go there. Armed with my Martin James rod, and a rather beautiful Paul Cook Avon, we will see what happens (If anything)

Still to decide what drink we should start the day with, stout, a porter, or warmed ale?!
I will post some pictures after the event.

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: The River Windrush, Burford

Post by Reedling »

A nice pot of strong tea would be my choice to start with.. save the booze to celebrate the Angling days end with. Have fun and many happy returns, Reedling :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Good luck. I will be interested to hear how you get on. I used to be a member of Burford angling club until about 12 years ago I always thought it looked very chubby and used to target those but struggled to catch on that stretch of the Windrush. I was also in a syndicate a little downstream at Minster Lovell where there were shoals of very large dace. Hopefully things are better now and you'll do well. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Tea is a very good idea, I will dust off the Kelly Kettle.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

My father used to take me fishing there as a very young boy.He was not a fisherman but always drove me to where I wanted to fish before I was old enough to go on my own.I think I caught my first trout on the fly on the Windrush using my new Knocker Norris of Leamington Spa fibreglass fly rod.I always remember self seeded raspberries growing high up in the pollarded willows.A lovely little river.
Mark Davies

Return to “Other Rivers”