Weird Diary Entry in "Four Seasons"

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Blunderer
Bleak

Weird Diary Entry in "Four Seasons"

Post by Blunderer »

I reread "Four Saasons" this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it (again!)

However there is an extremely odd diary entry and I wonder if anyone has any theories on it.

The whole diary is very detailed, especially when it comes to Redmire where we get a long detailed report of every day spent there. Then suddenly, towards the end of the book, we get an entry that covers the entire week beginning "27th September". I think the year is 1980, the year he caught the record.

He simply states something like "The events of this week will always be a mystery to me. Did I hook the king, see the ghost or maybe even not cast a line at all?". And that's it for the week, no further explanation is offered.

It stands out in the diary as totally bizarre.

St.John
Tench

Re: Weird Diary Entry in "Four Seasons"

Post by St.John »

I have noticed that. I expect something happened that he did not want published and was edited in the public copy. It strikes me by the tone that it was a later addition.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have a good idea why but you have to smile at such an obtuse diary entry.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

He would have written his diary for that week somewhere else - possibly his normal diary (as opposed to fishing diary) but more likely in a 'safe place'......

..it might still exist - but where is another matter....

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Intriguing. It could just be a ruse to get folk rubbing their beards but is more likely, as alluded to above, something being withheld.
Perhaps it's an over active imagination, but I suspect there have been a number of 'cover ups' at Redmire right up to the present day.
I don't mind this though as, if it is the case, it adds to the mystique of the place and prevents the masses from beating a path to the gates of Bernithan.

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

It can't be explained by the absence of his dairy. Having just had a look he writes 'something I cannot explain happened at Redmire this week. Something I have never experienced".

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Most intriguing. I wonder if we'll ever get to know?
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Beresford wrote:I have a good idea why but you have to smile at such an obtuse diary entry.
So, enlighten us to your thoughts as to why Beresford.
( I've read the book about five times and I have always been baffled by what might have happened for CY to have written that - after all he could just have left out those dates, there are lots of gaps of time in the book.)
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Julian wrote:
Beresford wrote:I have a good idea why but you have to smile at such an obtuse diary entry.
So, enlighten us to your thoughts as to why Beresford.
( I've read the book about five times and I have always been baffled by what might have happened for CY to have written that - after all he could just have left out those dates, there are lots of gaps of time in the book.)
PM sent
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Chris Yates”