Fishing Tackle: The Ultimate Collector's Guide

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Fishing Tackle: The Ultimate Collector's Guide

Post by Mark »

I have just treated myself to a copy of 'Fishing Tackle: The Ultimate Collector's Guide' by Graham Turner.

Not that I am a collector but I was flicking through Garry Mills copy last year while he was converting my Aerial reel to left hand wind and I thought then I must put this on my list, it's full on information.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Haydn Clarke

Re: Fishing Tackle: The Ultimate Collector's Guide

Post by Haydn Clarke »

While I mostly agree with mark's comments I must still admit to being slightly disappointed with my copy. Mine is a second issue of the first book so I'm not sure if it's changed much but my one has very little info on course fishing tackle, with some notably huge, glaring holes: not so much as a mention of b. James, Bob Southwell - in fact cane course rods seem to be non existent with the only exception being a few Hardy examples. Very good if your into old fly fishing tackle, not so good if you're more into coarse tackle.

As Mark says, a good book but misleading in its title.

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

An interesting book.
Some would say that it was partly a re-working of his earlier Fishing Tackle, A Collector's Guide; and a sales catalogue.

The Ustonson saga is well documented on other fora - 'The Holy Grail' of reels – an Ustonson Original Multiplying Winch - google is your friend, or waster of time.

Many of the items in the book featured in Neil Freeman's March 2011 Auction - sadly some didn't reach reserve......

Brian

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You now have me worried chaps. :shocked:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Agree with what others have said.
GT however is not an angler but a dealer. There is a great deal missing. For indepth knowledge one has to collect all the various books plus as many early catalogues as your pocket will allow.

Mike

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Still a gaping hole on the book shelf for a title that covers antique coarse tackle. I would have thought that the likes of Medlar or Little Egret would have published something by now. Surely there's enough material and interest to fill a book on British cane rod makers alone.

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

Haydn Clarke wrote:Still a gaping hole on the book shelf for a title that covers antique coarse tackle. I would have thought that the likes of Medlar or Little Egret would have published something by now. Surely there's enough material and interest to fill a book on British cane rod makers alone.
Any volunteers to write it?
Retirement and close seasons are designed for writing.....

I may know a publisher...........

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”