Dick Walker hand written letter

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Dick Walker hand written letter

Post by Mark »

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Dick Walker hand written letter

Post by Loop Erimder »

At least I know where the barbel are now :holmes:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

£350 for a letter? Its not written by Napoleon or God so I think the asking price is rather optimistic.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Don't think it'll happen, and he may have it put in a 'museum or something' like he says where it belongs :eyebrow:
niceroach

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Well thanks to the beauty of screen shot I have it now, for free. Thanks guy and Steve Jobs....
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Besides the, let's call it, rather exuberant price tag, I find it a little sad to find such an obvious treasure advertised on ebay.

Just my opinion, not looking to upset anybody. :surrender:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Richard C wrote:Besides the, let's call it, rather exuberant price tag, I find it a little sad to find such an obvious treasure advertised on ebay.

Just my opinion, not looking to upset anybody. :surrender:
I agree with you Richard.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Very difficult to establish the provenance.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It is a wonderful letter for many reasons and in some ways I would like to see or own it. No doubt to me about the provenance.

It conjures up marvellous images of the Avon back in that day with an evocative mix of mystery and potentially massive unknown/uncaught fish. But I can't reconcile in my head why I find it so attractive - whether it is a longing to have been there, imagination candy or some other curiosity?

I think the key thing (talking to myself!) is to remember to live in the day - enjoy what we have now - and not pine too much for days that are past or waste too much time looking forwards.

Just thought I would share that little conversation in my head with you. Still can't explain why, but I think I still want it.

But, with all due respect to the seller, not at that price for me...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I think I might have met the seller of this a couple of years ago while I was fishing. He saw I was using a cane rod and asked me if a Chapmans Hunter was worth much. I said the usual stuff about condition but he said that this particular rod was owned by one Joe Day, who I later noticed gets a mention in Catch a Big Fish (page 119), apparently the rod was a prize for the capture of that fish. As we talked he mentioned a letter from Richard Walker which had a diagram of Barbel holding spots. The seller is local to me so I'd bet it's the same one.

Return to “Dick Walker”