Speedia Reel Specifications

This forum is for recording reel specifications.
Chavender
Eel

Speedia Reel Specifications

Post by Chavender »

By coincidence, I only the other day answered a request for speedia details.

Well I've weighed one wide deluxe model and one narrow gp mk2 of the improved speedia reel (the later reels with integral foot) and measured the foots of the two reels (both unmolested), my findings are as follows.

wide spool reel

total weight = 230g (8.11oz)

spool weight = 124g (4.38oz)

length of foot = 3 ¼" (83mm)

width of foot = 14mm (9/16" )

narrow spool reel

total weight =198g (6.98oz)

spool weight =104.5g (3.68oz)

length of foot = 2 ⅞" (78mm)

width of foot = 13mm (½")

But you can't read too much into the length of foot ,as these very quite a bit depending on when it was cast ,weight can vary slightly as well between say a wide spool gp (no drag) and a wide spool gp mk2 (drag fitted) and a deluxe wide spool (drag & ratchet tentioner fitted) same with the verious models of narrow spool version.

I've had plans to add such data to http://centrepins.yuku.com/ there is such data on BFW in a now neglected pin database (one of the reasons i started my own) I've accumulated a lot of images and it takes me some time to sort them into the best images to use and upload them to a dedicated photobucket account and then the database ,but i'll get there (its only taken 5 years so far :shocked:, I just find it tedious to input data so only do it as and when i can ), I'll add whatever details i can to a spec's sheet on here as i find it.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MGs
Pike

Re: Reel Specifications

Post by MGs »

SeanM wrote: Reel .............................. Drum o/d ..... Winding Diameter .... Retrieve per rev.

Fred Crouch Aerial ............. 4.48" ............ 3.75" .................... 11.78"
Allcocks Aerial .................. as for FC Aerial
Mordex Merlin .................... 4.38" ........... 3.28". .................... 10.31"
Mordex Major .............. as for Merlin
Youngs Rapidex/Trudex ....... 4.0" .............. 2.9" ....................... 9.11"
Grice & Young Avon Crown ... 4.32"............. 3.5" ....................... 11.0"
G & Y Gypsy d'Or ............... as for Avon Crown
Speedia ............................4.0" ............. 2.62" ...................... 8.23"
Allcocks/Shakespeare
Record Breaker ................. 4.48 ............. 3.39" .................... 10.65"
Interesting. Given the current popularity of Speedia's I would have thought they reeled in for you. With the lowest retrieval rate of those listed, there must be something else special about them
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Speedia Reel Specifications

Post by Vole »

The "something special" is the way the deep arbour shelters the line from side-winds and makes it "well-behaved". The price of a slow retrieve is usually worth it..
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Haydn Clarke

Re: Speedia Reel Specifications

Post by Haydn Clarke »

And you could always add cork arbours to the Speedia if you wanted to speed up the retrieval rate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Natural-C ... 6672c31042

There's enough cork in these blocks to make arbours for 4 reels.

Return to “Reel Data Archive”