"The Trent"

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: "The Trent"

Post by Santiago »

Well done Ashby, I'm looking forward to seeing the fully restored rod in all it's glory! It would have been shamefull if this rod had ended it's life supporting runner beans, like so many others!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Way to go Mal, I'm sure the finished rod will look great.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Penninelad wrote:I feel some what guilty as I sold you the rod but am full of admiration for your efforts,which just confirm my view that renovating this rod was beyond my limited skills.Could I offer you a days fishing somewhere to salve my conscience?
You made it plain that the rod needed work, Sir, and I accepted it on that basis ... so all is well. I have a soft spot for Foster Brothers rods because of the Ashbourne connection, as my parents had a touring caravan sited behind the Dog and Partridge at Thorpe in the 60's. I also relish the challenge and learning experience of bringing such rods back to life.

I hope that I'd be able to dangle a line with you at some point in the future, but simply in friendship.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Its first post refurbishment outing must be on one of the more leisurely sections of the Trent itself AC, coupled with a wooden 'Nottingham' pin, and coming from Ashbourne it's very likely it flexed itself there, it will be a cracker when finished.
Tight lines
Dave

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Rutland Rod wrote:Its first post refurbishment outing must be on one of the more leisurely sections of the Trent itself AC, coupled with a wooden 'Nottingham' pin, and coming from Ashbourne it's very likely it flexed itself there, it will be a cracker when finished.
Tight lines
Dave
Now there's an idea, Sir ! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

As I had already mixed lots up to glue the splits, I decided to glue the new split cane tip section into the whole cane with Cascamite too. Lots of cable ties and a few hose clips, and the rod has been left overnight for the glue to set (Cascamite is normally set in 6 hours at room temperature).

The 'new' tip section makes all the difference.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

All glue residue removed, and before and after shots of the splits. Hurrah for Cascamite.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

That is a dramatic improvment AC. I'll have you up my neck of the woods and let you try it on those canal perch and chub.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A big difference there AC.
It looks as if the butt ring was once positioned where that large split is so would be a great place to return it to, the ring whippings will help keep the split under control.

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nice work sir. Looking good
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”