What a treat !

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: What a treat !

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote: Perhaps there is one of Mr Torbett in there.
You are correct BF, Sir ... my copy arrived via Abe Books this lunchtime, and the bottom photograph facing page 52 of a gentleman carefully returning a 7 lb barbel to the water is, indeed, Mr. Torbett.

I suspect that one or maybe more of the photos of boys angling through the book may be Harvey's sons, too.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent! I hope you enjoy Mr Child's book! Those boys were fishing in Essex, is that where Mr Torbett is from?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote:Excellent! I hope you enjoy Mr Child's book! Those boys were fishing in Essex, is that where Mr Torbett is from?
They may be Harvey's sons, Sir ... I'm attempting to find out.

Both Harvey and Bill started out life in Hammersmith, but having bicycles went far and wide even as childhood friends, as his daughter recounted :-

"Dad was a really keen cyclist in his youth (he and his best friend Bill Howes, who also became also a well known angling writer) cycled from Hammersmith (where they lived) to Winkleigh in Devon, aged 15 in 1939!). The previous year, aged 14, Dad had done the trip on his own, cycling the 200 odd miles over 2 or 3 days. He and Bill fished together a lot as youths so he knew about cycling with your fishing kit from first hand experience!
It was at the end of that trip with Bill, they stopped one time, and they heard, on the radio, Chamberlain's speech declaring war. He and Bill managed to hitch a lift back to Shepherds Bush where Bill lived, in a lorry, who took them bikes and all. He says 'we got back to Shepherds Bush in time to hear the first Air Raid siren.' "
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote:Excellent! I hope you enjoy Mr Child's book! Those boys were fishing in Essex, is that where Mr Torbett is from?
I've just had a response from Harvey's daughter ... and yes, the two boys in the photo are Neil and Martin, Harvey's sons.

She's guessing that Neil would be 13 in that picture, and Martin 11. At 63 and 61, they still fish today, along with Cindy's twin brother Ken and their cousin Cliff.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

AC, take a look at the 'latest traditional angling purchase' thread :) I think you'll like what you see.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”