Avon at Netheravon

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Avon at Netheravon

Post by Watermole+ »

..Then you are a very lucky person indeed!

That was the water fished most by the Late Oliver Kite when he lived there in the 1950s and '60s. If you want to know about it, read-or better still, buy-a copy of "Nymph fishing in Practice". It will tell you everything you will ever need to know about upstream nymph fishing. Frank Sawyer was also a neighbour of Ollie and their flies are probably the best known in the fly fishing world.

Hope you enjoy it..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Firebird wrote:Thanks for your reply WM. Yes I understand it was Kite & Sawyer's water - historical and nostalgiac. But do you know what the quality of the fishing is like these days by any chance?

Afraid not..wish I could say otherwise. Have never even been there and only know what I have read.
However, it will be privilege for you to fish such a water-even if it no longer is what it once was..

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Frank Sawyer was the head keeper on the Officer's Fishing Association water, is this the stretch you are fishing?

I have fished fished the Salisbury district water at Durrington, and water around Salisbury, from experience this area is superb, it is rich in fly life, and wild fish, obviously the water is clear so the fish spook easy.

Is the water you are fishing stocked? I think a lot of classic chalk streams have been spoilt by stocking just to satisfy day ticket angler for the pot, C&R will always benefit these lovely waters.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think much of the Avon in that area is run by the Army.

Salisbury & DAC has some superb fly water! I think the Piscatorial Society has water in the Salisbury area too.

I used to fish below Salisbury on the Longford Estate.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Have fished the Avon a few miles south of Netheravon at Amesbury. The Mayfly hatch on the Avon can go on for weeks after it has finished on other rivers. Plenty of wild fish as well. As others have said you will be walking in the footsteps of Frank Sawyer and Oliver Kite, so a very special day in store. I found the Paul Procotor CDC Mayfly Dun and the Baz Mayfly work well.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

If I remember what ive read about this beat it was a services water back in Sawyers days.
Is this the river at Bulford?
Minor tactics Zen and the art of the forger,the best fly(Clarksons voice)In The World..

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

fished it for 4 years in the 90s when I was in the forces stationed at larkhill, excellent water some very good trout & Grayling all throughout the stretch, you will thoroughly enjoy yourself if your fishing it.
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Return to “River Avon”