Bridge pool Christchurch

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Bridge pool Christchurch

Post by Pallenpool »

Silfield wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:20 am
Pallenpool wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:00 am I have to agree with Phil - if you can move across Westwards or North West and then find yourself on the Wye or a river not mentioned very much on the forum the Severn both hold good quantities of Maximus - and both rivers flow through some pretty, unspoilt scenery.
Thank you, now I need to find someone who will be 'willing' to look after the kids for a few days!
Mmm - now that is I am sure not straight forward - but where there’s a will .........

Good luck

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There are holiday sites on Hants Avon banks with varying prices. From chalets to luxurious B & Bs - many with fishing on site.

I assume that the punt was purchased from the local boat chandlers on the river's estuary. Mooring could be difficult and expensive!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Okey Dokey Olly - thanks - I will make some enquiries.

Peter
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Hi Tony. You will have a fabulous day on the Bridge Pool. Like Santiago I have only fished it once; with my best mate. We used to holiday in Christchurch in the mid-60's at a caravan site (sadly no longer there!) right on the Dorset Stour almost next to the holiday camp at Wick Ferry. Apart from fishing off of the caravan site we would scrape together enough for a few days on the Royalty; but our hearts desire was to fish off the punt on the Bridge Pool as we had seen others do many times, but as teenage schoolkids we could not get anywhere near the cost of a days fishing there! :Cry: Fast forward nearly 50 years and we realised that many things had got in the way of our dream (wife, kids, career etc!!) and that our "autumn" years were approaching all too rapidly. So we decided over a pint (or two) to put this on the "to do before we die" list. Accordingly we found ourselves pulling the chain through the loops on the punt so we could haul ourselves to the middle of the river. We did this a few years ago in the July and, unfortunately, the river was extremely low, so we had not chosen to fish when the Avon was in its best trim. Nevertheless we had a great time, catching roach, dace, small chub etc. The nearest we got to a whopper was when a sizeable pike followed in a roach I was reeling in, but it didn't strike and veered off close to the punt. You really feel you are in an important fishing venue and have an ever changing audience of observers, which gives some 'responsibility' to entertain the gallery!! :fishing2: I would not have missed that experience for the world, particularly as it took so long in the coming. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a "things to do for a second time before I die" list!!! Enjoy your day. Cheers, John

Return to “River Avon”