Thames gudgeon

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Thames gudgeon

Post by Santiago »

I caught a few this year, but nothing like the number I would have caught several years ago.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Chris R
Stickleback

Post by Chris R »

It’s the same further north. Gudgeon have become scarce in the Witham, Welland and Nene catchments. It would be interesting to hear what other forum members have to say about gudgeon in their local rivers.
Chris R

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

I am lucky enough to warden Gudgeon heaven Chris, the Wally (river Wallington) in Southern Hampshire, you may not have done enough posts yet to see the 'places we plan to visit as a group' section but when you have you will see we have had 5 TFF gonk Jollies originally thought of by the originator of this thread Terry, the 6th happening next Saturday. I'm sure the next British record will come from the Wally and I suspect it will fall to Moley. I know it's a bit of a way from Lincolnshire ( my parents moved to Lincoln and my sister still lives in N. Hykeham) but some of the guys stay at local hotels around Fareham/Portsmouth to attend, probably too short notice to come along next week but maybe a nice Gonk trip next year
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Chris R wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 pm It’s the same further north. Gudgeon have become scarce in the Witham, Welland and Nene catchments. It would be interesting to hear what other forum members have to say about gudgeon in their local rivers.
Chris R
Not sure they've become scarce or if we just don't target them. A child's techniques and ability to fish in a more simplistic way might be the answer?
You'll be delighted to know that I spotted a few in the Witham last Friday, well actually the Sincil just below Bargate. Indeed the vast majority of the dyke was full of fish with some rather impressive (4.5+lb) chub present.

I did actually try and catch a gudgeon by design from my local canal but failed in spectacular fashion, did snag a tommy ruffe though!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm I am lucky enough to warden Gudgeon heaven Chris, the Wally (river Wallington) in Southern Hampshire, you may not have done enough posts yet to see the 'places . I'm sure the next British record will come from the Wally and I suspect it will fall to Moley. I know it's a bit of a way from Lincolnshire ( my parents moved to Lincoln and my sister still lives in N. Hykeham) but some of the guys stay at local hotels around Fareham/Portsmouth to attend, probably too short notice to come along next week but maybe a nice Gonk trip next year
The Wally has yet to produce a fabled 8'' to Fatty yet....though close with a clonking seven and three quarters. So very kind of you to think a record gonk will fall to Mole tactics but they are too wiley for that and to be honest if the time spent scoffing pies, slurping tea and singing badly could be turned into fish on the bank then maybe but that would take away the fun pursuing Gonks in the first place. Fatty no longer takes fishing too seriously as there are enough serious and sincere types specimen hunting as it is.....much more preferable to take a step back from such endeavours and just have a jolly time; a true antidote to the woes of modern society.

You've just got to love 'em!

as ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That gudgeon look thoroughly fed up Moley.... had you been singing?

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:31 am That gudgeon look thoroughly fed up Moley.... had you been singing?
No not this time. I think he looks more outraged that he has got caught and the Fat bloke scoffing wouldn't give him any pie.....you know what greedy blighters they are :drool:

As ever,....
Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”