Angling Auctions-Romsey

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Angling Auctions-Romsey

Post by Silfield »

Just a quick question to those in the know please.
Does anyone know anything of the above? I have just registered an interest in a lot that is going in the next auction but know nothing about them and can find scant detail on the web. I am not looking to dig dirt or anything like that, just an honest opinion of reputation etc.
Many thanks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

CrayCane
Chub

Re: Angling Auctions-Romsey

Post by CrayCane »

Angling Auctions (Neil Freeman) been holding auctions of angling items for years. http://angling-auctions.co.uk/
They sell some fine stuff but like any auction, it's down to the buyer to satisfy themselves on the worth of an item.
Pete

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

That's great thanks Pete, I couldn't find out much about them and had a slight doubt that needed allaying - I don't like potentially sending money to folks that I know very little about :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

With auctions, it is best to view the items in person.
Unlike eBay, you cannot return items bought at auction if it is 'not as described'.
Bidding without viewing is a bit of a gamble.

I collect vintage pens, and many an eBay-dealer will put their rubbishy pens into an auction, rather than on their eBay shop, for that very reason - the item cannot be returned, and the seller remains anonymous from the buyer.

Dom.
_

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Silfield,

Neil Freeman's Angling Auctions together with John Mullock's auction house are probably the two leading auction houses in Europe for traditional fishing tackle. In particular Neil Freeman's auction house has sold some of the most prestigious items of vintage tackle, with many items selling for tens of thousands of pounds to collectors throughout the world. Personally I would have no qualms selling items with either auction house, in fact I have sold several items with Mullocks and purchased many more from them, I actualy bought several items from Mullock's auction last week. I have not bought or sold via Angling Auctions simply because they are located at the opposite end of the country from me and usually most of the items they sell are quite a bit out of my price range. As has been advised already it always best to view an item in person if you can, the auction house is always happy to provide condition reports and they try their best to provide an accurate catalogue description, but at the end of the day your opinion may differ from the auction house's opinion.

Regards,
John.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thank you all for the responses. I had been deliberating over this for a while but I think I can possibly engineer a business trip down that way next week so may be able to pop in and have a look at the reel in the flesh.
Some of the items in the catalogue are stunning but way way out of my price bracket :drool:
Washington Irving

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Silfield wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm Just a quick question to those in the know please.
Does anyone know anything of the above? I have just registered an interest in a lot that is going in the next auction but know nothing about them and can find scant detail on the web. I am not looking to dig dirt or anything like that, just an honest opinion of reputation etc.
Many thanks.
Hi Silfield,

I've worked at the Angling Auctions for over tens years now, Neil is well respected not only in the UK but internationally. If you PM me the lot number and your mobile I can look over the item Friday afternoon (4th Oct) and give you a second opinion over the phone.
Regards
Nick

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Dom Andrew wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm With auctions, it is best to view the items in person.
Unlike eBay, you cannot return items bought at auction if it is 'not as described'.

I collect vintage pens, and many an eBay-dealer will put their rubbishy pens into an auction, rather than on their eBay shop, for that very reason - the item cannot be returned, and the seller remains anonymous from the buyer.

Dom.
_
I agree Dom. I've been to Mullocks auctions and have seen some inaccurate descriptions on the condition of Lots. I have to say they are generally very good but I echo your mantra of view before you bid.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

The Tuesday Swim wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 pm
Silfield wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm Just a quick question to those in the know please.
Many thanks.
Hi Silfield,

I've worked at the Angling Auctions for over tens years now, Neil is well respected not only in the UK but internationally. If you PM me the lot number and your mobile I can look over the item Friday afternoon (4th Oct) and give you a second opinion over the phone.
Regards
Nick
Thanks very much Nick, that is much appreciated. PM on its way.
Washington Irving

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:16 pm
Dom Andrew wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm With auctions, it is best to view the items in person.

Dom.
_
I agree Dom. I've been to Mullocks auctions and have seen some inaccurate descriptions on the condition of Lots. I have to say they are generally very good but I echo your mantra of view before you bid.
I have to write that I agree with this. However, I travelled across country and had a night in a hotel only to find the items I was interested in were nowhere near as good as the photographs and written description suggested they would be. I was so disappointed that I doubt I'd go back given that the necessary hotel stay adds to the overall cost. I've not yet been to a Neil Freeman auction but suggest, as others have done, that you really need to see things in person, unless you don't mind taking the risk.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”