An intriguing typed price list for Reels from the early 70's

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

An intriguing typed price list for Reels from the early 70's

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

I picked up an old Mitchell 325 reel box for a £1 from a car boot sale yesterday. Inside was a few bits including this typed price list for Mitchell, Intrepid and Penn reels, "Shop prices"and "Our prices". At the top left of the page is what I assume is the company name "REEL VALUE".
Has and anybody dealt with or heard of them. I have attached 3 images below of the price list, hope they are readable. I have a 1975 Angling Times and the prices are about £3.00 dearer, so I would probably put the price list just after decimalisation about mid 1971- 72 possibly 73.
Google maps 'Street level' now show the address as a flat with 58 clearly at the top of the door, with a possibility of a shop either side of the door.

I have been in touch with John Wordsworth of Reel Value.co.uk and he said that he doesn't recall in the company's history trading from the said address at the top of the document, (at this moment in time).

:holmes:

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time

:Hat:

Tony

Reedling
Catfish

Re: An intriguing typed price list for Reels from the early 70's

Post by Reedling »

Blimey £11+ for a Penn squidder! they were always a well respected reel but a lot of money back then.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

What a great find. It's very entertaining playing with this…

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculato ... tion2.html
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

As VAT is added it is after 1973. Purchase Tax was used prior.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Reedling wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:16 am Blimey £11+ for a Penn squidder! they were always a well respected reel but a lot of money back then.
Interesting reading Reedling. I love finding little suprises. Oh! and a spare spool too for the 324.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 am As VAT is added it is after 1973. Purchase Tax was used prior.
Thank you Olly. So it seems to be after April 1st 1973.

Last edited by Tonytoned on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Beresford wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:24 am What a great find. It's very entertaining playing with this…

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculato ... tion2.html
Thank you Beresford the calculator is a bit of fun.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's quite a shock to see what prices it comes up with. I tried basing it on 1971, not at that time realising this list is post 1973.

I fished today and the club secretary was around when I caught a pretty linear scaled mirror, he looked at my gear as asked if I was using a Mitchell Match. I replied that it's a very much improved 300. I know the Match was/is an iconic reel – I was given one for my 21st but would you now pay £84 for a new one, if they were still made? I guess so.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Beresford wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:30 pm It's quite a shock to see what prices it comes up with. I tried basing it on 1971, not at that time realising this list is post 1973.

I fished today and the club secretary was around when I caught a pretty linear scaled mirror, he looked at my gear as asked if I was using a Mitchell Match. I replied that it's a very much improved 300. I know the Match was/is an iconic reel – I was given one for my 21st but would you now pay £84 for a new one, if they were still made? I guess so.
That is amazing when you put it like that. I had a Mitchell Match. I think it cost about £25.00 possibly a little less from my mum's club book, which I paid £1.25 weekly from a paper round, which did back in about 1976/77.
"Those were the days".

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”