Wicker basket care

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Wicker basket care

Post by Barbelseeker »

All baskets should have a good wash, or left outside at least once per year to remove all the debris and allow some water reabsorption. A quick flick over with a scrubbing brush should remove the worst dirt. Pay particular attention to the underside of the base. As regards re-varnishing, perhaps every 3-5 years - and I would do it with a spirit (watered down) varnish. This allows better penetration of the cane or willow. I still have baskets my Dad make 50 years ago and as (nearly) as good as new.

Remember that the willow basket were used in all weathers in their days, and sometimes in the Trent semi-submerged with rocks inside to give some sort of platform. Nowadays these old baskets are taken out of dry storage for that - perhaps - TFF fine weather day. Result, they tend to dry out to much.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Yes, Barbelseeker's the man when it comes to baskets!
I took his advice about water absorption very seriously, but my wife was not too amused when she went to take a long hot bath and found this -
Bath Basket.jpg
However, the advice was sound, and the soaking did tighten up the weave beautifully.

When it was fully dry, I gave the basket three coats of Danish Oil. This dried quite quickly, and gave it a lovely golden sheen.
I am now fighting to keep it as a fishing basket, whereas my wife would prefer it to be in the house as a coffee table.
:shocked:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I actually wouldn't recommend varnishing at all. There is a thread that you can search for that lists a three part formula that cleans and treats the basket. I have used it with success but can never remember all three components and have to look for the thread each time I redo my vintage basket, every few years. I've used the same one for over 25 years and it was old when I bought it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I bought my 6 leg basket in 1972 and after a couple of years continual use it needed "tightening" up. I had access to a high powered industrial hot steam cleaner at the time and after a blast with that it was very tight and very clean. A couple of coats of general purpose varnish later it was good to go for another season. I did that for 10 years. I haven't used it for many years now but it is still very tight and very usable. So I must have done something right.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

wash down with the hose in the garden and when dried a coat of linseed oil then leave to dry in the garage which can take days but leaves a nice golden finish. :Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:50 pm wash down with the hose in the garden and when dried a coat of linseed oil then leave to dry in the garage which can take days but leaves a nice golden finish. :Thumb:
That’s what my grandad taught me to do! He told me never to varnish willow.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

BreadFlake wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm
Beresford wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:26 pm I actually wouldn't recommend varnishing at all. There is a thread that you can search for that lists a three part formula that cleans and treats the basket. I have used it with success but can never remember all three components and have to look for the thread each time I redo my vintage basket, every few years. I've used the same one for over 25 years and it was old when I bought it.
I believe I may have found it for you: "1/3 white spirit,1/3 vinegar and 1/3 Linseed". I'm not sure we there hat would be white or normal vinegar though.
Thank you. It's the white spirit part I forget. Being pedantic I believe the linseed should be boiled linseed. I recall using white vinegar which has all sorts of cleaning uses beyond baskets.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

So to sum up,
You should leave it in the Trent for a day, blast it with a hosepipe, scrub it, then give it a nice cold bath.
When it is dry, give it a coat of spirit-based varnish, then treat it with a mixture of white spirit, vinegar and linseed oil, followed by boiled linseed oil, and finally a splash of Danish Oil. That should do the trick.
All clear? :Confused:

Have a good Christmas, Josh! :Wink:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Back in the heatwave of 1976 I used my basket as a bait waiter on my first visit to the Hants. Avon, a CAC match. The basket had got very loose due to the dryness and heat so I reasoned standing it in the river would tighten it up. At the end of the match I lifted the basket and the bottom fell out and I had a struggle to get my gear back to my mate's car. I bought a Stephens box the following week from Woolco,

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

DaceAce wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 am ... I bought a Stephens box the following week from Woolco,
Was that the one with the helium-filled aluminium frame, covered in green PVC?
Superb box, the lightest I have ever had. And those side pockets seemed to expand to accommodate anything you wanted to put in them!

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”