To display or up cycle?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Paul F
Sea Trout

To display or up cycle?

Post by Paul F »

I bought this Tilley lamp on a whim about 12 months ago, as you can see in the photo's is is brand new in the box with accessories, it has never been used, and probably dates to late 70's/80's !

I bought it as it reminded me of cold winter nights cod fishing on Dungeness beach in the 1980's

I had a Tilley lamp which my mates took the micky out of me for, as it could take 10 minutes to light on a cold wet windy night, they had cheap Chinese lamps with ultra fast burners, which lit within 30 seconds!

I always had the last laugh, after 4-5hrs, they would have to re-fuel in the dark, they had to change the mantle every trip as they always broke in the car journey, my mantle often last a whole winter, every 2/3 seasons they had to buy another as they rust, whereas my old Tilley last years.

When I bought it, I couldn't decide what to do with it, so I put it in the loft where it has remained until today!

Shall I just display it, with my other stuff for what it is?
Or should I modify it and turn it in to an electric lamp (if I can figure a way to do it) although there will be no turning back, as i will have to damage the heat exchanger!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: To display or up cycle?

Post by Barbelseeker »

I can remember having to use something similar, when we moved into our first cottage. I would be about 4, started on blue meths and run on paraffin. We hadn't either running water, electricity or inside toilets. Washing consisted of a outdoor fuel heated tub,(copper as we called it) and clothes were punched with a dolly and wrung out in a mangle. heating was by way of a cast iron range. I can remember my mothers first Servis twin-tub - she thought it was the height of perfection - no doubt bought 2nd hand since we had very little money.

Getting a full cucumber was the signs of some money in the house.

I wouldn't up-cycle as it would lose its history.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Seems a shame to mess about with it Paul, I have had a few of the old Tilleys, a few were from about 1940”s and were a hell of a lot better than any post war ones, very solid, with chrome on Brass tops, Chrome on Brass fuel tanks etc..larger than the one you have and took 500 CP mantles. I used them on the Holderness when after Cod in winter as you did, but I succumbed to the ease of lighting of the Anchor lamp
(which I have still got ) , and also a Coleman double mantle lamp which runs on 4 star petrol, and lights straight away with no preheater.

Back to the Anchor Lamps, I have a friend who has a large garden and occasionally holds evening garden parties, so gave him a couple of them, he uses them when he has the parties, they give off a much more pleasant light than electricity and always are a talking point , my son has two and uses them for the same purpose. The last, and this did suprise me, I sold on e.bay, it was bought by an Asian chap, who sent it on abroad to one of his cousins who had a fishing boat, they use them when night fishing for Squid, hanging them from a hook hanging out over the stern of the boat.Seemingly the Tilley Lamps from the war years are a big favourite there and are jealously guarded and looked after.

So , that may give you a couple of ideas for the lamp.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I had to laugh when I saw this Paul! It brought back memories of an all night trip to Teddington Lock on the Thames years ago. I persuaded several friends from the pub to come, kitted them out and promised fish. They insisted on visiting a local Teddington pub, so by the time we left we had all had a skinful. I had my new Tilley lamp and was guiding the rowdy group along the bank to the lock area when I stepped backwards into space! I had walked backwards into a cut out in the bank and dropped about six feet into the water. Needless to say the Tilley lamp went out and my friends were laughing so much they could not help me out. We did eventually fish, but apart from some eels overnight and a few dace in the morning it was not productive. Sadly only myself and one other are left of the five of us that went, but I will never ever forget that night! :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's a beauty Paul and unlike LEDs you can warm your hands or a pie on it! Originality is everything so the collectors say, and I'd definitely keep that as is - it's mint after all :Thumb: I was given an slightly battered and corroded version that's also missing a few parts, I kept it for a garden ornament just because of it's looks. Now you've got me thinking about up cycling it with electrics :idea:

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

I can remember my father firing up the tilley lamp in the 70's winters when the country was plunged into a 3 day week and power cuts lasted for hours. We also had primus stove to cook basic dinners.
Dad used both of these on his week long fishing trips on the Ouse at Buckden and Offord D'Arcy in the late 40's and 50's when he and a couple of mates lived in a 6 man bell tent.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I too have an old Tilley lamp that I used in the 50's and 60's when cod fishing from Sussex and Kent coast, with a few trips to Suffolk coast, it was also used to illuminate our pill box on Burntwick Island where we would camp out when wildfowling for a week end. I will pass it onto to someone who will collect from Lancashire, for a donation to TFF. I have some great memories of my Tilley.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:41 pm Seems a shame to mess about with it Paul, I have had a few of the old Tilleys, a few were from about 1940”s and were a hell of a lot better than any post war ones, very solid, with chrome on Brass tops, Chrome on Brass fuel tanks etc..larger than the one you have and took 500 CP mantles. I used them on the Holderness when after Cod in winter as you did, but I succumbed to the ease of lighting of the Anchor lamp
(which I have still got ) , and also a Coleman double mantle lamp which runs on 4 star petrol, and lights straight away with no preheater.

Back to the Anchor Lamps, I have a friend who has a large garden and occasionally holds evening garden parties, so gave him a couple of them, he uses them when he has the parties, they give off a much more pleasant light than electricity and always are a talking point , my son has two and uses them for the same purpose. The last, and this did suprise me, I sold on e.bay, it was bought by an Asian chap, who sent it on abroad to one of his cousins who had a fishing boat, they use them when night fishing for Squid, hanging them from a hook hanging out over the stern of the boat.Seemingly the Tilley Lamps from the war years are a big favourite there and are jealously guarded and looked after.

So , that may give you a couple of ideas for the lamp.

OMR
I could have done with those David, they sound a very good idea - have you any more?
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

They were getting out of hand Peter, I moved them on . Took up room when they werent needed . It hurt but I got a good price for them do was in profit .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It takes about £38 to fill a hurricane lamp nowadays. But the smell of one fired up does bring back many fishing memories, watching rod tops on the beach and float tops on the lake where we night fished for tench.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”