Repurposing some old Victorian pennies

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Repurposing some old Victorian pennies

Post by Pallenpool »

A very traditional approach there Phil, with a good surface area.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Mole, for it is he, acquired a rather unusual Walking Stick Pole. Obviously a poachers' pole but rather resplendent all the same:

Made up the pole is 10ft 10inches, can handle roach and rudd well, even small carp and tench have not been able to resist the charms of such a set up.

Wonderfully inventive were our Victorian forebears and a lot of fun for Fatty to collect and use :Thumb:

As ever,..........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The George III two penny piece is heavy enough to be a ledger weight!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Now that is an extremely nice stick - although the coin maybe a later addition as it is George V - 1911-1936

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Barbelseeker wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pm Now that is an extremely nice stick - although the coin maybe a later addition as it is George V - 1911-1936
The penny is a 1920 George V and was put on by me to cover a gouge In the wood so is quite aesthetically pleasing. :Hat:

Various other repairs were made to bring the poachers stick up to the present standard.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

yes - a very nice stick

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

What a novel idea Phil :Hat: perhaps an idea for a new thread 101 uses for your old pennies
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Penninelad wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 am I used to use these in the pre alarm days.Painted white(so you could find them in the dark) and balanced on the spool of a Mitchell 300.A bite was registered when they fell into an upturned Austin A35 hub cap screwed onto a bank stick.I have still got some in my tackle box.The "good old days"! :Tongue:
I have a friend in Edinburgh who drives an A35. If he ever reports a missing hubcap, I can tell him where to look!

I believe James Hunt described his driving an A35 van as being the only way he could have any fun driving on UK roads without losing his licence!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Harry H wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:15 pm What a novel idea Phil :Hat: perhaps an idea for a new thread 101 uses for your old pennies
Gary Mills used to offer to embed a sixpence from the year of your birth in one of his wooden backed centrepins.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Duckett wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Harry H wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:15 pm What a novel idea Phil :Hat: perhaps an idea for a new thread 101 uses for your old pennies
Gary Mills used to offer to embed a sixpence from the year of your birth in one of his wooden backed centrepins.
I once put a 1952 sixpence in the butt button of Richard Walker style landing net
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”