Made myself a Swing-tip....or two.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Made myself a Swing-tip....or two.

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm It is Scarborough! Says so on the inner pages.

I looked at this tip a little while ago but couldn't get the linkage, a bracelet type, - to remove the tip when required off the line!
As an "emergency" tip it could work very well.
It was Scarborough Olly :Thumb:

Here's the quick release swing indicator I was on about Olly. It's roughly 6" in length, but I don't know Thank you the other end attaches to.

:Confused:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That could be an old butt indicator - but for the life of me I cant make out/remember what it would be attached to!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:08 pm That could be an old butt indicator - but for the life of me I cant make out/remember what it would be attached to!
I might do a separate post later and see if anybody's knows. Thanks for trying though.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

In the 70’s I used to be a bit of a swing tip demon. I fished the ‘tip’ on a variety of waters in the winter and it was a definite match winner.

A good swing tip is one where you can both cast and retrieve plus play fish with being aware it is there.

There were many commercially made swing tips but in truth most, if not all, were terrible. They all seemed to feature a long (too long) piece of thick nylon which provided the hinge between rod and tip. I amongst other made my own swing tips and this thick nylon which was too uncontrollable was replaced with thick valve rubber, or better still the thick rubber sheathing found in electrical stores for separating wires going into Plessey type plugs in radio equipment. Rather than the 3 or 4 inches of nylon on the commercial versions this rubber was in the realm of 1” to 1 1/2” long which prevented ‘chatter’. The tip itself could be made in many lengths but again one of the secrets was ensuring that the line lay close to the tip with low rider rings (same as MKIV rings) and a small tip ring. The body of the tip could be bamboo, aluminium bar or even a knitting needle cut to the required size. The tip end was painted white of fluorescent orange to give eye relief.

I keep meaning to make a few in a traditional style and use them on a local lake :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have one of those and wondered how it was attached to the rod.
It does look as if the small square plate was at one time soldered to something else.

Wal.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:52 pm In the 70’s I used to be a bit of a swing tip demon. I fished the ‘tip’ on a variety of waters in the winter and it was a definite match winner.

A good swing tip is one where you can both cast and retrieve plus play fish with being aware it is there.

There were many commercially made swing tips but in truth most, if not all, were terrible. They all seemed to feature a long (too long) piece of thick nylon which provided the hinge between rod and tip. I amongst other made my own swing tips and this thick nylon which was too uncontrollable was replaced with thick valve rubber, or better still the thick rubber sheathing found in electrical stores for separating wires going into Plessey type plugs in radio equipment. Rather than the 3 or 4 inches of nylon on the commercial versions this rubber was in the realm of 1” to 1 1/2” long which prevented ‘chatter’. The tip itself could be made in many lengths but again one of the secrets was ensuring that the line lay close to the tip with low rider rings (same as MKIV rings) and a small tip ring. The body of the tip could be bamboo, aluminium bar or even a knitting needle cut to the required size. The tip end was painted white of fluorescent orange to give eye relief.

I keep meaning to make a few in a traditional style and use them on a local lake :Thumb:
Thank you Northern Nomad. That is interesting. I've used swing tips a couple of times but I still have a bit to learn. I do have a few swing and spring tips, but I'll still have go at producing some different types of tip indicators. I recently finished one made of split cane which I am yet to use.
I know after reading about Ivan Marks the he was exceptional with a swing tip. A true legend.

:Hat:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Re the indicator with part missing here is one I have with connecting clip. Impressed on stem is La Maison Bois Pat No ……. (impressed number cannot be made out) The clip is impressed what looks like, Lewis 101/10 :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Reedling wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:46 am Re the indicator with part missing here is one I have with connecting clip. Impressed on stem is La Maison Bois Pat No ……. (impressed number cannot be made out) The clip is impressed what looks like, Lewis 101/10 :Hat:

Thank you Reedling, your an absolute star. I will check tonight. Looks similar to a small Terry clip. One assumes it clips on to the butt section though clip look quite small.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Tonytoned wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:08 am
Reedling wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:46 am Re the indicator with part missing here is one I have with connecting clip. Impressed on stem is La Maison Bois Pat No ……. (impressed number cannot be made out) The clip is impressed what looks like, Lewis 101/10 :Hat:

Thank you Reedling, your an absolute star. I will check tonight. Looks similar to a small Terry clip. One assumes it clips on to the butt section though clip look quite small.

No problems, pleased to be able to contribute :Thumb: I was just about to amend my original post saying that I have found another one of these with a shorter arm but a bigger clip. The stem has La Maison Bois Bite Indicator. Pat Pendg impressed and the clip which is a bit rusted has impressed...Terrys No 80/0 :Thumb: :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Those Terry clips come in a variety of sizes. I still use them when piking for drop-offs attached to the back rod rest. Found them from 9mm to 38mm!

The size of the Terry clip enables it to be placed in front of the front rod rest or as a butt indicator just in front of the rod's handle. Or anywhere in between!

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”