What Can You Do With a Cardboard Tube, WD-40 and a Condom ?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: What Can You Do With a Cardboard Tube, WD-40 and a Condom ?

Post by Barbulus »

Right ... dinner over and time to relax for a few hours until the busy day starting very early tomorrow ... where did we get too ? Oh yes. The Chinese "Take Away" container. Hopefully used and washed !

I find it doesn't make any real difference between Sweet and Sour or Chicken Chow Mein. It's a container. What can you say. There is no provenance except "Mr Ling's Chinese Take Away", Devon. (Other Chinese Take Aways are available)

So .. coat with plaster of paris ... dry .. then coat with the previously mentioned Gold Paint. (You already know why its Gold paint I think and it is almost Easter too !) It should look like this:
IMG_8443.JPG
Next take your VW spare carpet ... throw this away as it is of absolutely no use whatsoever on reflection ..........
IMG_8447.JPG
Next ...... examine the Centrepin Reel found recently in the Barbulus Workshop (aka messy garage) from a period long long long ago ... and see if there is any connection with the great Richard Walker. Was it a prototype perhaps ? Is there any provenance ? Decision is no ... but it's a good photo anyway to confuse the senses and probably not worth £ 7000 plus Commission although a Collector ... thinking there ............ it might however be useful for the "Fishing in Miniature" ....
IMG_8470.JPG
IMG_8472.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

So our Chinese Take Away container is drying and time to tear ourselves way from this gripping DiY project to check on the remaining "children". Yep .. they are socially isolating tonight thankfully having taken to heart the lecture from last night .....

IMG_8455.JPG
Next check on the Power Tool ... this I am told by Northern Nomad, is called "A Drill" .... yes ... a genuine Power tool .... Ooooooh !

IMG_8464.JPG
Next, grab your rotten garden "runner bean" cane or, if that isn't available and you really need to have second best, the Captain "Bob Southwell" Tonkin cane with that steely dark flexibility - restored by (insert relevant name here) we all fell metaphorically "in love" with. Glue this to the Chinese TakeAway container. Set aside to dry with the tinsel covered wire coat hanger I should have mentioned from the Blue Peter YouTube earlier .. Oooops !

IMG_8459.JPG
IMG_8465.JPG
Next add that subtle French connection element to add an air of mystery and suspense (so to speak) .... stocking mesh to your rigid vinyl looking like leather helium filled "tube" .... gasp !

IMG_8467.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

So, we are at the final stages some of you will be relieved to know .....

We left it with our rigid tube with Helium filled insert secured in a cheap vinyl made to look like leather cuz we cannot afford 'owt else ....and now "dressed" with a black stocking like net mesh floating around a garage (aka workshop) somewhere in Devon with a rotten cane covered Chinese Take Away container - or Tonkin cane if you had too as a last resort. The ending post of this saga is...

Next take your "tube" and then add that to it a couple bits of wood offcut plus an expensive and unique "Jasper like" whipping touch to the DiY tackle project or, if you really can't be bothered, just add coloured electrical tape. Its effectively the same looking - if you squint a little and the light isn't too great - at the electrical tape holding the eyes on a number of my cane rods nowadays ... although one rod does have sellotape too ! It does what it is there for !

IMG_8460.JPG
Next turn your attention to the custom Chinese Take Away container and add a bait of your choice ......

IMG_8473.JPG
Then after that stage, attach your Chinese Take Away container to the fixing on the underside of your rigid "tube" ... using the four lanyard attachments that I should have mentioned earlier ....... ensure the wind isn't too awful and that you have a line attached for Health and Safety reasons and then "away you go" ... it flies .......
IMG_8477.JPG
IMG_8482.JPG

It is a self isolating, quiet, means of delivering large quantities of "bait" to that most difficult of species. There are some drawbacks: you are wind dependant of course and not everyone will take kindly to use of a condom but, as most commercials (cross fingers, dance around the Moon shadow and say Hail Mary here) have a ban now on Bait Boats, I think we can safely say that this is NOT a Bait Boat therefore is perfectly legitimate as a means of mass baiting "campaigns" to catch that most elusive of fishes .... I have named it " Dr Barbulus Infernal Derigible Baiting Contraption". :Hat: :Hat:

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Love it :Hahaha: :Thumb:

That kept me enthralled for quite a while. I want one!

How about a MK2 with a Mamod steam engine for propulsion :Thumb:

Thanks for the smile in troubled times :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Outstanding !!
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Tried my best tonight Neil to raise a smile in difficult times. It’s too easy to take everything too seriously sometimes. We need relief ! I have a spare Drone too I need to canbabilise so the Mk II might have traditional transmitters, receivers and servos linked with an iPad .... there again Mamod is also in the garage thinking about it ... can you imagine that thump thump thump and puffs of steam across that particular lake on a mist filled morning ? Thinking now ....

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

B..b..b..bonkers Barbulus! Although this has reminded me that I have a Mamod stashed in the attic somewhere. Keep up the good work in your day job and keep enjoying life :Sun:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Brilliant Matthew - are you planning on a series of ‘things to do with’?
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Outstanding - I see you in a new light Barbelseeker and it's quite evident from your pictures, that you have a different slant on the world :Sarcasm:

Lockdown certainly brings the creative side out. I can't wait till project Two hits the forum :Thumb:

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

:Thumb: Brilliant, made me smile 😊. Very entertaining Barbulus
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”