D.I.Y. tip ring.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Watermole+
Chub

D.I.Y. tip ring.

Post by Watermole+ »

This one was a bit more of a challenge.

As Hovis has correctly observed, the agate liner should be encased within a bezel and I made this from a thin strip of brass sheet formed to shape and soldered around.

The next step was to turn a tapered sleeve which was then heated, bent around to shape and carefully soldered to the ring.

Then came the tricky part. I needed to solder the two, 0,6 mm diameter, nickel-silver side legs on to the ring, without getting it hot enough to melt the existing attachment to the bent sleeve.
After two scrapped attempts, the third try came out OK.
The sleeve was then partially filed away to leave two side legs which will be whipped down to the cane. Thee are still a few grinding burr marks on the agate which need to be polished out with very fine diamond paste.

The 50 pence coin is for size comparison.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: D.I.Y. tip ring.

Post by Pallenpool »

That is so gorgeous to look at - what lines - wouldn’t be out of place on the bonnet of a traditional Bentley (if scaled up) let alone a fishing rod. Marvellous.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Fantastic work Leszec. :Thumb: :Hat:

May I enquire about the finish? Are they chromed or tinned to get the desired finish. Or have you mastered soldering stainless ?

Superb workmanship though :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Absolutely stunning work!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

As an ex jeweller l can really appreciate that top ring!
You probably know this, but jewellers' silver solder can be used on brass and German silver . It comes in Easy, Medium and Hard grades which run at slightly different temperatures ,making it easier to make several solders to the same piece without risking those made earlier
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Like most people of average ability, I continue to be amazed at the standard and quality of the work that you produce! :Hat:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

This is amazing! Such fine work. Well done WM+
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Very nice and very well thought out.

I wonder if the original ring makers had jigs to hold everything in place while it was being soldered.
I have tried to repair quite a few tip rings and have probably scrapped 50 percent of them due to soldering problems.

Wal.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

That is a work of art, and looks far more substantial than those tip rings commercially available. A great result !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I was always asked to do the tricky soldering jobs in the instrument shop,some silver and some soft soldering,The art is experience and time and patience, there's always an solution if you put your mind to it.Reelmaker

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”