D.I.Y. tip ring.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: D.I.Y. tip ring.

Post by Liphook »

Sublime is the only word I can add to the praise above. WM+ you are a master of your art with craft! :Sun:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Thank you again everyone for nice comments.

Northern Nomad- The material is not stainless but nickel silver and a different grade from which the bent sleeve was turned (third attempt!). The silver soldering of stainless steels is quite straightforward and a lot easier than often made out to be, the secret is to use the appropriate grade of both alloy and flux for that particular grade of stainless.
The pictures show the sleeve to be more gold-looking than it actually is and the solder is not a good colour match.

KevD- You are absolutely correct of course. The reason for the two previous failures was trying to use the same silver solder for each join!
The sleeve was attached to the 'eye' first, using a hard grade and then the side legs attached to the ring with one with a lower eutectic point.
The upper part of the legs were joined with the original grade

Wallys-cast- As it was only a single item, I soldered using a bit a of a balancing act with the 'eye' supported in wood (which caught fire) and the sleeve held in position above it. The oxy / gas torch was in one hand and the silver solder rod in the other!
If I was making it again, I think I would indeed make a supporting jig for assembly.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Northern Nomad, KevD and Wal, I hope that you all took this in, as it went WAY over my head! :surrender: :Hahaha:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”