Brass landing net fittings

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Brass landing net fittings

Post by Coral Maestro »

While researching fittings for a landing net I came across this which might come in useful for some members: https://www.pescamaniagroup.com/catalog ... d-of-brass

These are available on online auction sites for the other end of the handle:
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Brass landing net fittings

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They could be handy for making all sorts of things but I would check if they are actually 3/8 whitworth as 3/8 bsf is the thread we need for fishing tackle.

Wal.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 am They could be handy for making all sorts of things but I would check if they are actually 3/8 whitworth as 3/8 bsf is the thread we need for fishing tackle.

Wal.
Wal,
Just checked out the spec on the advert and it does state 3/8" Whitworth. No length mentioned but they look a little short in the picture. :Hat:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Bob thats what made me question it. 3/8 Whitworth is 3/8 x 16 and 3/8 BSF is 3/8 x 20 so quite a big difference and one that would almost guarantee a net head locked solid or snapped off while trying to fit or remove it. Not a good thing when you consider the price of the brass fittings for walker or crabtree type nets.

Wal.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I agree Wal, you can’t be too careful.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I've ordered a couple today so i'll get back once I've received them. As they're coming from Italy I don't expect them soon!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

If anyone was thinking of buying one, it might be useful to check with the supplier first re. the actual thread.

Although it is listed as Whitworth which is 16 TPI, it might in fact be 20 TPI BSF.
British Standard threads both Coarse, Fine and Brass are all Whitworth form so it may be just the way it is labelled.

It is quite impossible for Fine and Coarse threads to engage with each other more than perhaps half a turn..if forced.

..just my two pence worth..

wm+

P.S. If anyone is really desperate for one, send a PM.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I think as they're listed as "Threaded bushing brass for landing net Stonfo" I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. I paid with Paypal so I have some recourse if the items aren't as described.
- Jack Hargreaves.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I was in tool making and instrument making for 55 yrs ,the BSF thread was a very common thread ,but the whitworth was not used as much ,when threading aluminium you should use a course pitch because the material is softer than steel and should have a pitch that's courser giving more strenght for the same diameter ,brass is between so some pitches in the water industry are course to consider corrosion. I understand that the thread was changed to metric a while back but did not continue for very long ,I suppose anglers had problems with fitting older nets so it was changed back to 3/8 BSF. Keep well.Reelmaker

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

The brass fittings have arrived from Italy and the thread is compatible with landing net and rod rest heads. The ones that were sent are probably too small to use with cane for landing net handles but would be perfect for cane bank sticks.
Here are a few pics of the items:

- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”