Aesthetically pleasing or devastatingly functional?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Catfish.017
Eel

Aesthetically pleasing or devastatingly functional?

Post by Catfish.017 »

To while away some time in this strange period I've been making some floats from my ample store of Goose and Duck quills. They won't be anything special, somewhere between "rough and ready" and semi professional. It got me thinking about some of the awesome creations we see on this forum displaying a degree of artistry I can only wonder at. I've stated before that in my younger Match Fishing days I was a disciple of the great Benny Ashurst and particularly his no nonsense approach to tackle. It's well known he was not averse to taking a blade to his floats if they weren't quite performing as he wished. I often did the same with no qualms. I've never been that fussy about appearance so long as it works
It got me thinking further about my past Sea trout fishing and the fly/lures I used to tie. My fishing was exclusively at night and I quickly learned that colour was relatively unimportant. On my local River Tawe and on the Towy, Black and Silver was the accepted formula. Once again the main variation being the degree of finesse in the finished article. Most of us fished a pattern of long, quite slim lure tied in the manner of the Falkus Sunk Lure but with one hook, a treble at the tail and a decent sized Aberdeen Sea Hook with point and bend cut off in the front.Mine as fitted my Coarse Fishing philosophy were quite 'rustic' whilst my good friend Dai lavished hours on the appearance of his.
One overriding fact became apparent after a while. You could tie half a dozen similar looking lures but due to some quirk in its makeup one lure would be found to be a real killer. Of course each successive fish caught on it would imbue it with something approaching mystical qualities and confidence in its use soared. I well remember one such 'creation' that was well into double figures of fish under its belt, the tinsel was hanging off in a spiral and most of the hair wing had gone but still it worked its magic until one night I lost it in a far bank bush. To balance the books I must relate what happened one night on the Tawe. A rather quiet night in truth and I had lost several of my favoured lures by midnight. Dai set off for home but gave me one of his artworks to try. I examined it in torchlight as I tied it on. A sleek, shiny, beautiful thing with perfectly spaced turns of tinsel and symmetrical Jungle Cock eyes on each side. I heard a heavy fish move down in the tail. I started in halfway down the pool and soon got a good casting rhythm going. There was a hotspot down in the tail, a small bush hanging over where the bottom began to shelve up. Here suddenly the heavy draw of a good solid take interrupted the swing of the lure and a big fish had me stumbling backwards out onto the shingle. A long fight ensued before I beached a twelve pound Grilse in smashing condition. It put me in a quandary over whether to tell Dai the truth as I was always ridiculing his fastidiousness over his lures!Image
I think this is a photo of the fish but it may be an eleven and a half pound Seatrout I caught from the same pool.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Aesthetically pleasing or devastatingly functional?

Post by Beresford »

I had a really scruffy knackered Bibio that was an absolute killer fly.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The scruffier, the better. It's all about confidence :-)

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Looking again I can see that is definitely the Sea Trout.i can't seem to find a photo of the grilse.this reminds me also that the night I caught that Sea Trout, Dai caught a Twelve Pounder from a tiny pool about a quarter of a mile upstream.my fish displayed amazing aerobatics, leaping clear of the water a dozen times or more!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

An interesting post Catfish. I think you have summed up that different strokes for different folks applies to fishermen and despite the strength of our personal beliefs, all methods have their day. One day a fish may tell us why it took a bait, until then we'll just have to keep using what we have faith in.

Me? I'm definitely in the home tied and scruffy camp and that spreads through all of my fishing.

Cracking Sewin by the way.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 am An interesting post Catfish. I think you have summed up that different strokes for different folks applies to fishermen and despite the strength of our personal beliefs, all methods have their day. One day a fish may tell us why it took a bait, until then we'll just have to keep using what we have faith in.

Me? I'm definitely in the home tied and scruffy camp and that spreads through all of my fishing.

Yes I was fortunate to catch four double figure Sewin over the years. The other three came from the Towy and were what Falkus called "harvest fish" I.e. Caught late in the season. I returned these fish after a quick, torchlight examination of the vent. The 'photo' fish however was caught in early June and in superb condition.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:09 am
Dave Burr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 am An interesting post Catfish. I think you have summed up that different strokes for different folks applies to fishermen and despite the strength of our personal beliefs, all methods have their day. One day a fish may tell us why it took a bait, until then we'll just have to keep using what we have faith in.

Yes I was fortunate to catch four double figure Sewin over the years. The other three came from the Towy and were what Falkus called "harvest fish" I.e. Caught late in the season. I returned these fish after a quick, torchlight examination of the vent. The 'photo' fish however was caught in early June and in superb condition.
I never got around to night fishing the Towy but visited it a couple of times with my eager friend. First day was low and bright so useless, second trip was after salmon and I fluked one of about 6lbs. Lovely river and I can understand the obsession of fly fishing at night.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I may have the opportunity to fly fish at night this year. I'm not happy fishing for salmon as I regard them as an endangered species that could well do without my interference.

I'm tempted to fish at night, the main driver for that is that the dog walkers, campers, kayackers and wild swimmers will be in bed.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am I may have the opportunity to fly fish at night this year. I'm not happy fishing for salmon as I regard them as an endangered species that could well do without my interference.

I'm tempted to fish at night, the main driver for that is that the dog walkers, campers, kayackers and wild swimmers will be in bed.
I stopped fishing for both Salmon and Sea Trout ten years ago in the face of drastic declines on both rivers. I did miss the night fishing desperately for the first couple of years, it is in my humble opinion the absolute 'cream' of our sport and extremely addictive, beware!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

My name is Liphook and I'm a seatrout addict....

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”