Ferrule Stoppers

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Ferrule Stoppers

Post by Coral Maestro »

I've been experimenting with knocking up some home made ferrule stoppers recently to relieve the boredom of our Covid-19 lockdown. I thought I would take the opportunity to record the procedure I've been using as a "lathe virgin" and see if anyone has a better way of going about it.

I bought some stock square section oak from the local "Brico" (while they were still open for business!). This came in 16x16mm and 25x25mm sections.
I mounted it in a set of pen jaws for the lathe chuck with a crown live centre at the tailstock end:
This piece was used to make 2 ferrule stoppers with the spigots for the cork in the centre.
This was turned down to a rough cylinder of approximately the correct diameter, the centre point marked and the section to be turned down for the spigots.
The stopper and spigot positions were rough turned:
And then finished:
After sanding with 400 grit paper:
The spigot was then cut before removing from the lathe:
I sourced some corks from a local shop stocking wine bottling supplies. A hole was drilled in the cork and I used twin pack epoxy to glue to the ferrule stopper. I've tried using wood glue but it wasn't going off inside the hole (I found this out when turning down the cork on the lathe).
Once the glue has set I mounted the stopper back in the pen jaws for turning to size.
Image (using a different stopper this time)
I found that I needed to check that the stopper was centred correctly otherwise the cork wouldn't turn down in alignment with the stopper.
I measured the ID of the ferrule and roughed the cork using a sharp chisel to a slightly larger size before sanding down to get the final fit. It was also cut to a more suitable length.
I found that if I removed the tailstock from the lathe I could test fit the rod section to the stopper without removing it from the chuck. This avoids the risk of remounting it out of alignment.
The stopper was then turned to it's final shape, cut from the rough stock and the end sanded to shape:
Tools used:
End result:
Problems encountered - lack of skill on my part! I found it difficult to turn a matching pair of stoppers with the same profile. Sharpening the chisels was challenging but, as with most things, you get better the more you practice. Sourcing good quality corks is also tricky. I found that they look fine on the outside but when they are turned down on the lathe cavities appear, hidden splits and also hard brown areas.
Comments are welcome and suggestions for improving the procedure would be great.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Ferrule Stoppers

Post by Pallenpool »

Superb result despite the problems - finished stoppers in pictures would suggest none were encountered.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

They look fabulous. Well done. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have plenty of corks available for anyone looking to produce their own stoppers or floats.

A very nice set of stoppers you have made sir, I will set about doing some of my own very shortly....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've no experience of turning wood stock CM, only shaping handles and fly reel seats from cork shives but they look grand to me :Thumb: Cork is a tricky material as even what appears to be the best of 'flor' grade shives can throw up issues. Can I ask a little about your lathe - power, size etc? :Hat:

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I have heard, that cork coasters glued together and the punched out of the resultant wad can be effective. I assume that you only glue perhaps 3 coaster togther and punch 2 wads out to fit on 1 stopper and then finish to size. Cannot help with the lathe turning.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have long been an admirer of the TFF members with the skill and talent for creating lovely things, I have just added you to the list! :Hat:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I purchased one of those little modelling lathes a couple of month ago but I'm not sure it will be up to the job of turning pieces of oak dowel, I guess I will have to see when I finally decide to unpack it from what it was delivered in. I bet I have to use a power drill....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Pallenpool wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 am Superb result despite the problems - finished stoppers in pictures would suggest none were encountered.

:Hat:
Thanks for the kind comments. It's a steep learning curve but I'm enjoying it!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Liphook wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 am I've no experience of turning wood stock CM, only shaping handles and fly reel seats from cork shives but they look grand to me :Thumb: Cork is a tricky material as even what appears to be the best of 'flor' grade shives can throw up issues. Can I ask a little about your lathe - power, size etc? :Hat:
I'll be looking to use cork from different sources until I find something I'm happy with. There must be plenty available here in France.
The lathe I'm using was bought second hand off a well known auction site and is the variable speed version of the lathe shown in the attached image. It seems to cope admirably with the smaller jobs. I've also attached the lathe specifications.

I'm beginning to realise that the accessories are more expensive than the lathe - chuck, wood turning chisels etc. but there's plenty of second hand stuff about. I'm enjoying the hobby and looking forward to experimenting more (once I'm happy with my ferrule stoppers!).
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”