Ferrule Stoppers

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: Ferrule Stoppers

Post by Coral Maestro »

Barbelseeker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:58 am I have heard, that cork coasters glued together and the punched out of the resultant wad can be effective. I assume that you only glue perhaps 3 coaster togther and punch 2 wads out to fit on 1 stopper and then finish to size. Cannot help with the lathe turning.
Good suggestion! I have a few composite corks from bottles of fizzy wine and have made a couple of stoppers from them. However, they don't look quite the same as the stoppers that come with old cane rods originally. I'm trying to use solid cork rather than composite as that seems to what the original manufacturers used.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

This all started out with making a lathe out of wood powered by a hand drill. I was hoping to be able to make the ferrule stoppers using this but I soon realised that the bearings in the drill didn't like side forces and it didn't seem to be running true. Maybe it would have been cheaper to buy another drill?!!
It was fun making and using it even though it wasn't as successful as I was hoping.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

An excellent result for someone new to wood turning. Now you have a lathe you will become obsessed with making things on it and will find easier ways to do things by trial and error.
My only advice is always use the highest speed possible when turning wood and keep those tools sharp.
Some excellent hardwood supplies can be obtained from old furniture. The older the better.
Wal.

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

They look great. I've got to make two ferrule stops for a Chapmans 500 I've just bought. Unfortunately I don't have access to any such turning equipment and fear I have a long slog with hand files and sandpaper!! :doh: Cheers, John

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks CM :Thumb: I've bern planning an extension to my shed/workshop to better accommodate a lathe and other power tools but until I can get materials delivered it's yet another project that's on the back burners for now :roll: I'll begin the online search for a second hand unit and tools though :Hat:

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Liphook wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm Thanks CM :Thumb: I've bern planning an extension to my shed/workshop to better accommodate a lathe and other power tools but until I can get materials delivered it's yet another project that's on the back burners for now :roll: I'll begin the online search for a second hand unit and tools though :Hat:
Best of luck with your search! Car boot sales and bric a brac shops would be worth checking out for the chisels. Even old ones are expensive on the internet auction sites.
Axminster tools seem to be good for the lathe accessories. Their website is worth checking out.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Much obliged CM :Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I am envious. I do not have a lathe and have not tried to make stoppers in an electric drill. I sand down twigs and use taps(or spiles?)from home brew shops for butt sections. Not as elegant as yours but they do the job, although they often end up detached from the rod in the bag and I have to mess about extracting them!
Mark Davies

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm An excellent result for someone new to wood turning. Now you have a lathe you will become obsessed with making things on it and will find easier ways to do things by trial and error.
My only advice is always use the highest speed possible when turning wood and keep those tools sharp.
Some excellent hardwood supplies can be obtained from old furniture. The older the better.
Wal.
Thanks for the advice Wal! I'm in the process of selling off some old French furniture so if it doesn't make a reasonable price i'll break it up for "lathe food"!
- Jack Hargreaves.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

JohnH wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 pm They look great. I've got to make two ferrule stops for a Chapmans 500 I've just bought. Unfortunately I don't have access to any such turning equipment and fear I have a long slog with hand files and sandpaper!! :doh: Cheers, John
You can buy ferrule stoppers for the Chapman 500 on fleabay, I think they are 18 quid. Alternatively you can wait and see if my own efforts materialise into anything, and if they do I will make you a set.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”