Making landing net heads?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: Making landing net heads?

Post by Chubman »

ash is the easyiest timber to use, first i soak it in my fish pond for an hour, find some 40mm plastic drain pipe, make 2 blake ends for it(water tight) i possible, pour boiling water into drain pipe, push ash strip in and plug top in and leave for 5 mins, now for the bit you have to work fast on, remove ash strip with gloves and bend round former, best 2 pair of hands as one needs to apply a bit of bending pressure,whilst the second pair of hands apply lots of clamps around the strip on the former, leave to set and dry out for a week, it will spring out a bit but the spreader block will pull it back, just make sure the ash is cut along the grain otherwise it will split

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

If you have not already done so take a look in the traditional landing net threads lots of stuff in there to give you some pointers.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

LlyrEdwards
Bleak

Post by LlyrEdwards »

Well I've just been made to look a little silly by my 64yr old ex design and technology teacher mother! She could see me making a mess of things so decided to come and help me. Within a short period of time I have now successfully bent a section of cane into a landing net! It isnt perfect mainly due to my poor application of heat using a blow torch ( heat gun coming soon which should help!). Atleast I know now what steps to follow to get it done.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”