bite indicator / ring bobbin

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Chavender
Eel

bite indicator / ring bobbin

Post by Chavender »

I make these with 5mm (0D) x 3mm (ID) surgical tubing /valve rubber but silicon tube will work too ,I just prefer the rubber tubing as I think it grips better.. usually a piece of matchstick or toothpick as spigot .but anything fits will do ,5-6mm long .just pull one end off ,put over line pop end back on.the match ones are virtually weightless ,I've used bits of nails etc to make weigted ones ,like this pair one has a little brass thingy i had laying about ,in it ,and the other a cut off from 3mm copper piping .

you can even get florescent tubing ,so can make night fishing versions

I'm going to try magnets soon some tiny 3x4mm polerized bar magnets put opposing poles in the end of the tubing ,a little fely cover over the end (these are paste/flint type metal and can chip if snapped together hard enough) ,then they'll be easier to pop over the line .

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Aitch
Pike

Re: bite indicator / ring bobbin

Post by Aitch »

Oooooh I like the idea of the Magnets :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

AquasilkPerfection
Minnow

Re: bite indicator / ring bobbin

Post by AquasilkPerfection »

They are very efficient bite indicators, I first saw then in use by an angler fishing for perch on our local canal in the Autumn, virtually weightless as you say Chavender, perfect for fish that dislike any resistance. He actually used tropical fish tank tubing linked into connectors from the same source so that once he had struck into his quarry he just popped the ring open and it falls away. Simple but also ingenious?

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”