wasp grubs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Solithar
Roach

Re: wasp grubs

Post by Solithar »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:06 pm Yes, Witchety Grubs, I've thought of that before. They would be amazing. Imagine injecting them with air and surface fishing with them!!!! :sun:
They are amazing as bait, truly.
:fishing1:
Lucian,
A beginner angler thankful for the endless and blessed joy of angling.

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

many years ago I read an old book which suggested using cyanide obtained from a chemist,being young and keen off I went to the local shop,I got some very strange looks off the chemist and made a hasty departure before he called the police!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

antiqueangler wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 pm many years ago I read an old book which suggested using cyanide obtained from a chemist,being young and keen off I went to the local shop,I got some very strange looks off the chemist and made a hasty departure before he called the police!
Cymag used to be pretty commonly used for killing wasps' nests. It was developed for rabbit and rat gassing and was widely available at agricultural suppliers.
One advantage was that after producing cyanide gas on contact with moisture in the air and soil it became inert quite quickly. Hence it was possible to retrieve the nest and remove the grubs a few hours later.
It had disadvantages . Even the chaps who were tasked to conduct the early field tests managed to put themselves in hospital and kill their own dogs through mishandling the stuff!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”