Ban for worms on the Wye?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Ban for worms on the Wye?

Post by Liphook »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:59 pm
Coral Maestro wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 pm I think the concern here from the salmon anglers point of view is the by-catch of salmon parr when worms are being used. There is a similar concern regarding the use of maggots on some stretches of the welsh Dee. I've caught a few when using worms for grayling on the welsh Dee.
Parr are suckers for flies too, maybe they'll be asking for a ban soon :tea:

I won't rise to your fly Mr Burr :Sun: but the issue with salmonids of all sizes is they will gorge a bait like a worms or maggots therefore make for a difficult and often unsurvivable release (suitably sized circle hooks can largely avoid this). Very rarely is gorging an issue with true flyfishing. Lets be honest - anyone targeting parr or undersize trout etc wants flogging with an old bog brush before hanging! It's the reason some fishery managers are suspicious of the fashion for Tenkara - a method designed for catching a small species of Japanese trout that has transferred over here to tiddler bashing by a minority group of utter idiots who have converted it into a numbers game and think it's good to catch juvenile fish that otherwise would be rightly considered unfair game.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Liphook wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:59 pm
Coral Maestro wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 pm I think the concern here from the salmon anglers point of view is the by-catch of salmon parr when worms are being used. There is a similar concern regarding the use of maggots on some stretches of the welsh Dee. I've caught a few when using worms for grayling on the welsh Dee.
Parr are suckers for flies too, maybe they'll be asking for a ban soon :tea:

I won't rise to your fly Mr Burr :Sun: but the issue with salmonids of all sizes is they will gorge a bait like a worms or maggots therefore make for a difficult and often unsurvivable release (suitably sized circle hooks can largely avoid this). Very rarely is gorging an issue with true flyfishing. Lets be honest - anyone targeting parr or undersize trout etc wants flogging with an old bog brush before hanging! It's the reason some fishery managers are suspicious of the fashion for Tenkara - a method designed for catching a small species of Japanese trout that has transferred over here to tiddler bashing by a minority group of utter idiots who have converted it into a numbers game and think it's good to catch juvenile fish that otherwise would be rightly considered unfair game.
Well I think you bit :Wink:

No, I wasn't being serious but, when I have fished the Wye, salmon parr have hung themselves and were probably the reason I don't catch many trout. I have had parr on maggots but deep hooking has never been an issue.

As for Tenkara, I have no experience of it but some angling fashions are much better left within the country of origin. I know quite a few that regard Czech nymphing in that way.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

As a committed all-rounder I'm happy with all permitted methods provided people show full regard to the fish, their habitat and surrounding environs. I understand some rule changes but not this attempted move on the Wye. If ever there was "a worm on one end and a fool on the other" it most probably was the dedicated backend salmon wormer who was content to allow often stale fish to gorge on a bunch of worms on heavy insensitive tackle. Room for all caring anglers I say :Hat:

PS that wasn't even a shift of a pectoral fin never mind a rise Dave :Wink: and anyway you'd struggle to carry a net, scales or heaven forbid a priest large enough :Sun:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Fatty Will nail his colours to the mast and declare that he is a long term card carrying S&TA now renamed S&TC member, so does put his money where his mouth is.

Personally Fatty has the rights to a couple of Salmon Beats in the land of the mighty Jock and fishes for Salmon and Trout therein but will always come down in favour of worm fishing as it is not the ignorant fish catching method that is portrayed by many but is in fact a legitimate and noble technique if utilised in the upstream method. The looks you get should you ask in a local Scottish bar where you can purchase worms is priceless and always gets a response :Hahaha:

Rich Land Owners can be a strange mix of reasonable and totally unreasonable people, with an almost choleric response to wormers and poachers...often lumping the two together in their whisky addled brains.

This Mole, yeah him, has spent an inordinate amount of time trying to change ingrained attitudes but failing for the most part. Sides are too established to change with reasoned argument but glugging fine Whiskies in the process is a wondrous thing especially should some decent meat and tatty pies be brought out too :Hat:

It would seem that the attempt to ban the worm on the Wye is just another example of stupidity reaching a worrying conclusion :surrender:

Let's hope reason does come to the fore and energies are put to more sensible ways to alleviate the Salmon, or lack thereof in rivers, problem but some how doubt it.

Oh well.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Liphook wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:05 pm As a committed all-rounder I'm happy with all permitted methods provided people show full regard to the fish, their habitat and surrounding environs. I understand some rule changes but not this attempted move on the Wye. If ever there was "a worm on one end and a fool on the other" it most probably was the dedicated backend salmon wormer who was content to allow often stale fish to gorge on a bunch of worms on heavy insensitive tackle. Room for all caring anglers I say :Hat:

PS that wasn't even a shift of a pectoral fin never mind a rise Dave :Wink: and anyway you'd struggle to carry a net, scales or heaven forbid a priest large enough :Sun:
:Hahaha:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”