Worms on barbless

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
OldRod
Grayling

Worms on barbless

Post by OldRod »

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but what are the words of the wise on hooking a worm on a barbless hook?
I have a way of doing it, which I am not entirely happy with, and wonder if there is (I am sure there is) a better method?
How do you do it?
Best wishes all
OldRod (Keith)
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Re: Worms on barbless

Post by Carp Artist »

Hi OldRod ,
I usually hook the worm through the saddle and impale a small slither of elastic band over the hook to trap the said worm in place.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Carp Artist wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 pm Hi OldRod ,
I usually hook the worm through the saddle and impale a small slither of elastic band over the hook to trap the said worm in place.
Thanks Carp Artist. I will give it a try 👍🏻
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Me too!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I break the worm in half and thread the hook through the broken ends and out of the side... works well enough
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Hook in the normal way and tip with a maggot, that's what they told me to do. :tea:
niceroach

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

NiceRoach wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:28 pm Hook in the normal way and tip with a maggot, that's what they told me to do. :tea:
What he said ! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Me too....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I use 2 methods. The one I was taught as a nipper, to tip the hook with a maggot. The other an old timer showed me about 10 years ago: hook through the saddle and push the worm above the knot. He said my hook up rates would increase and I believe that they have!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I fish large lobs on (usually size 6) long shanked hooks. I push the hook in just above the saddle and thread it along the shank and exit as far below the saddle as I can. I push the top end over the eye of the hook and the knot and that holds it on.
If I want an even bigger bait I put a float stop above the hook then thread one worm all the way above the hook and the second worm as described above and then hold the first worm in place above and touching the second worm with the float stop.
Alternatively I have chopped a lob into sections just under 1 inch and threaded them on horizontally to fill the whole hook. These ooze lots of worm juice but can't wriggle off.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”