Pearl Barley

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Pearl Barley

Post by Mr B »

I have never tried Pearl Barley as a bait but wondered If any of you have?
I think it should take up added flavours well.

Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Pearl Barley

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I am sure that it will work, But probably no better or worse than stewed wheat or similar grains and for me I'd rather use them is a stew or corned beef hash. :Hahaha:

Personally I add flavouring or colourants during the cooking process when the grains absorb the liquid. Worth a try though and I look forward to hearing how you got on.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Mr B its great bait for Crucians simmer for 20 minutes allow to cool then douse with Mollasis 2 on size 16 hook is my standard approach.
Bumble

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I drop a few grains in when I am soaking/boiling hemp as a useful alternative and soft hook bait.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:08 am I drop a few grains in when I am soaking/boiling hemp as a useful alternative and soft hook bait.
I was was wondering how well it would hold on the hook.. I think the secret will be in how long it simmers.. 20 minutes was mentioned above so I will try that.. also the mollasis sounds good.. and boiling it with hemp... must take up the flavour.
When I put it in a stew, it dose swell to more than in the photo but becomes a bit to soft... Oh, no, it’s making me hungry I better get my breakfast on!
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Used in float fishing in the Trent, caught skimmers, chub and barbel on it.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've yet to try Bumbles black pearls but they have a proven track record of big crucians and will certainly be getting a good trial on my own waters this summer.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”