Going "maggot free"?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Robert P
Bleak

Going "maggot free"?

Post by Robert P »

In my return to general coarse fishing (with a break of many years, only fly fishing or using artificial lures), I haven't yet used any form of live bait; maggots, worms or derivatives of either. Partly because I've been able to catch on bread, corn and hemp and also because I don't want to have to drive to a tackle shop and keep maggots in my fridge etc. I like the worms in my garden to keep on helping with the plants and veg patch, rather than pressing them into service on a hook.

If the aim is to enjoy being on the bank and have a few larger fish rather than loads of tiddlers (some of the tiddlers that take bread balls are small enough thanks!), then do I really need to worry about missing out on the deadliness of casters or the instant success of maggots?

I haven't even fully explored the number of different beans and pulses out there, or whatever flavoured pastes and pellets could be rustled up in the kitchen (without stinking it out and incurring the not inconsiderable wrath of SWMBO).

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Going "maggot free"?

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I bought a pack of Dendrobena worms mail order. It gave me several sessions ( 3lb 4 oz Perch!) keeping half of them in ventjlated bucket .

The other half went into my compost heaps and are now breeding like crazy. So hopefully free bait forever- and without depleting my gardens stock of " normal" worms

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have not used any form of livebait for fishing in over 40 years whether it be worms, maggots or the like. I cannot sacrifice a living creature for the sake of enjoyment - daft maybe - but that is how I am about this. I have put up with days where the angler in the next swim has had fish after fish on maggots whilst I have blanked using bread or corn and I have to accept such occasions.

However, with bread, corn, luncheon meat, prawns and more recently mussels I have had plenty of fine rewards for my angling efforts and I have never got round to using a pellet, boilie or other modern bait.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Never do I use a live bait of any description, and apart from Pike & Perch all species are always very catchable.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Weren't prawns and mussels alive at some stage? Luncheon meat is made from pork.
Mark Davies

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Perfectly reasonable views could get very complicated.

I would not use fish as live bait, although I remember all those minnows and the goldfish used as a kid- ,both live and transferred illegally.

But worms , maggots and things are within my acceptable limits.

Is this wrong?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:12 am Perfectly reasonable views could get very complicated.

I would not use fish as live bait, although I remember all those minnows and the goldfish used as a kid- ,both live and transferred illegally.

But worms , maggots and things are within my acceptable limits.

Is this wrong?
How correct you are Sir - I do not use any Live baits when fishing - I am not vegetarian either - but as Pershore Harrier I just will not put anything alive on a hook to catch a fish - so in this case it’s simple. Whether something was once alive or not is not applicable when choosing to use it - sure SPAM Mussels etc. were all alive once but (hopefully) reared, gathered and killed for our own consumption humanely - I hope this simple enough answer will prevent any further non essential posts. With an answer to your question is this wrong - only you can decide this - but if you feel happy enough to do so get out there and catch some fish on whatever you feel suitable. Ultimately hooking and playing a fish the older I get is throwing up all sorts or moral and ethical questions also - but while I have a resolve in these matters I will fish on.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Penninelad wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:40 am Weren't prawns and mussels alive at some stage? Luncheon meat is made from pork.
I understand completely where you are coming from and the point you raise is a fair one. For me the thought of impaling a live maggot, worm or fish on a hook to try and catch another fish is just a step too far but it is each to his own and quite rightly so.

Robert P
Bleak

Post by Robert P »

Some interesting discussion. If I want to catch Perch, then I prefer lure fishing for them.

Looking back, I think the only time maggots or derivatives accounted for a decent fish was a when a tench took double caster on the canal. Everything else above a pound was on bread, corn or once on those “mini boilies”. I scarcely used worms as they always resulted in bootlace eels in those days, as did large bunches of maggots.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon fellow friends,I have not used any forum of live maggots,worms for 50yrs ,when I now fish I always use punch bread.Reelmaker

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”