Cherries

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Sneezewort
Bleak

Cherries

Post by Sneezewort »

I recall from my youth in the 70s, my first Saturday job, where in quiet times I would often be chatting “fishing” to one of the old stagers there, as he smoked a woodbine out the back. He would fish whole cherries in the late summer for Chub on the River Wey. I can imagine the wild cherry overhanging the water like elderberries, would be a natural bait - also would make a big splash to interest old leatherchops too.

I wonder if anyone else has tried them? I couldn’t see searching the thread ..🍒🍒🍒🍒
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Cherries

Post by RBTraditional »

I have no knowledge of the use of cherries as bait, but an old friend of mine swore by blackberries being a cracking chub bait when fished near overhanging brambles at the right time of year and I witnessed some of his catches years back.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

I've never fished any fruit as a bait, yet when you consider the number of fish that are caught on fruit flavoured boilies, you have to wonder why. I found black cherry flavour went down particularly well with tench, so why shouldn't an actual cherry? Same size, same flavour, same colour, a fraction of the price too.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

My mum was a great one for rummaging in the family lunch boxes for alternative baits on slow days. I don’t recall cherries but I certainly recall her catching Roach, Rudd, Crucian and Bream on tiny pieces of banana, apple peel, apple, grape, tomato and cucumber.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

I used to know someone who did well with Chub on cherry tomatoes ....
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Justin Parker
Stickleback

Post by Justin Parker »

I haven't used cherries but like others have said, should seem to work. I use corn for carp and bream but I have heard you can use cherry tomatoes for grass carp. I would give it a go and post your results!
Cheers
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after.
- H.D. Thoreau

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Some amazing replies thank you. We naturally seem to gravitate nowadays to “meaty” “fishy” or “nutty” scents but the whole fruit thing would suggest an area majorly under explored. Whether it’s the sweetness or the visual cues who knows? Food for thought eh ( sorry! 🤭)
:Hat:
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I had heard that sultana's or raisins were a decent bait but never tried it, thinking about it now i can't see why not
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I’ve caught carp on blackberries taken from bushes overhanging lakes. More recently I tried blueberries, these being in my lunch box and having run out of bait. Not much interest shown though, apart from the odd nibble.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I've had some success using glace' cherries as bait on a hair... the only problem was I ate more than the carp did
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”