Cockles

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Sneezewort
Bleak

Re: Cockles

Post by Sneezewort »

πŸ‘πŸ»
Earthing the current
β€œ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Dave Burr wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 pm
Sneezewort wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 pm
Dave Burr wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am Frank Guttfield wrote 'In Search of Big Fish' in 1964 and he used them a lot for tench - with varied success. I used to float fish cockles for carp and had a 15lb common that was a pb at the time. They are indeed a good bait.
I’m wondering whether the vinegar they usually come in is detrimental at all or indeed whether supplementing with something even more flavoursome might work - now CY would probably vote for paprika! :Wink:
Olly is dead right, vinegar is not a good bait additive - buy fresh/frozen. They need no flavouring as fish love 'em as they are.
πŸ‘πŸ»
Earthing the current
β€œ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Fished with Frank - and his cockles! Plus his son!

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Dave Burr wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am Frank Guttfield wrote 'In Search of Big Fish' in 1964 and he used them a lot for tench - with varied success. I used to float fish cockles for carp and had a 15lb common that was a pb at the time. They are indeed a good bait.
I’m wondering whether the vinegar they usually come in is detrimental at all or indeed whether supplementing with something even more flavoursome might work - now CY would probably vote for paprika! :Wink:
Olly is dead right, vinegar is not a good bait additive - buy fresh/frozen. They need no flavouring as fish love 'em as they are.
Herring in vinegar (sour herring we call em, dont know if thats a thing in the UK) is THE best bait for sturgeon I've been told...

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Trilob wrote: ↑Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:37 am
Herring in vinegar (sour herring we call em, dont know if thats a thing in the UK) is THE best bait for sturgeon I've been told...
Rollmop herring Trilob, very nice it is too. :Hat:

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

ah yes! rollmops indeed.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Aka soused herring. I've caught plenty of carp and tench on cockles in vinegar straight from the jar in fact it's one of my preferred cold water baits on the farm ponds

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

There's quite a lot of information in Carp circles about the attraction of salt for Carp. Why not a bit of vinegar too!

Return to β€œTraditional Fishing Bait”