Collecting worms the easy way!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Collecting worms the easy way!

Post by Coral Maestro »

Have you ever used a notched stick or "worm gitter" to collect worms the easy way? Have a look at this....

There are plenty of other videos on Youtube that show this technique including how to make your very own notched stick!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Re: Collecting worms the easy way!

Post by Woodytia »

I have collected worms by gradually working a garden fork into the ground, and moving it from side to side, if you hit a small stone it seems to work better, the ground does to be damp enough so the worms are near the surface.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I reckon that the notched stick when rubbed sets up vibrations in the ground and the worms react as if it's raining, great idea.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Known locally as "riddlin'" worms I was told s a child that the vibrations and scrapings fooled the worms into thinking a mole was hunting them. Long shanked screwdriver works well. Definitely seems more effective if you hit a rock/stone. Around decaying cowpats you'll get the salmon anglers 'steelhead/blackhead' best 'garden fly' ! Its quite a fascinating sight to young anglers to see them popping up in numbers as of by magic

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

I used to sprinkle water from a watering can on the lawn at night..... they just come to the top it’s a bit tricky catching them .... trap them with two fingers first then pull them out of the ground.
Awesome video though he really does make it look easy 🤔
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Unfortunately, my local French worms don't seem susceptible to this collecting method at the moment. It may be due to the hot weather and dry ground so maybe i'll have to wait until the autumn.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

CM - If you can find an area with a spring or font the ground will usually be wet enough to hold worms. Or chemins with full shade. Look for fresh mole hills, that is a clue. :Wink:

I was reading an old edition of Creel yesterday. Someone suggested using a nail file to press down on lob worm and then draw them away from their holes rather than the tug of war, broken worm method. I find that when I am probing to locate a mole's tunnel worms shoot to the surface and lay on the grass without their tails anchored in the holes. My probe is a two foot length of re-bar with a 'T' handle made from a short length of wooden broom handle.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've read that car batteries work wonders. Just hammer in two metal pegs a few metres apart and then connect to the battery with suitable wire. Of course, this method also needs the soil to be damp.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Order them online? :Scared:

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

My dads uncle used to work at a sewerage farm he lived next to it in a house provided with the job.......
Anyway most Friday evenings we would drive over to collect worms..... I didn’t realise it at the time (I was young) but it was my dads way of seeing if his uncle was ok .
We used to go to a big pile of well what could be described as a muddy substance put a spade in turn it over and voila thousands of little red worms.
Best bait ever ...... not really but at least we had to put some sort of effort into collecting it 👍
I suppose it was traditional fishing bait !
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”